Woodnet Forums
unexpected flaw in $30 Ryobi ROS - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: unexpected flaw in $30 Ryobi ROS (/showthread.php?tid=7321411)

unexpected flaw in $30 Ryobi ROS - EricU - 08-07-2016

you can't use it upside-down.  Was trying to use it to sand drywall compound on the ceiling, and the wheel kept moving up and there was a distinct loss of power.  Weird.

Guess I'll have to get a real ROS again.  In general, I'm not a fan of sanding, but sometimes it is necessary.

RE: unexpected flaw in $30 Ryobi ROS - Robert Adams - 08-09-2016

Interesring. I wonder if the armature is really loose and the brushes are loosing contact. I have used my 6" metabo and 6" ridgid once or twice on ceilings and worked fine. I love my Chinese made drywall sander now. Odd paper size but works way faster than by hand

RE: unexpected flaw in $30 Ryobi ROS - EricU - 08-09-2016

is it a sander on a stick like the Porter Cable drywall sander?  I might have to get one of those, the PC got too expensive for how much I would use it

The Ryobi isn't the motor, it's something in the ROS mechanism. I think if it was the motor, it wouldn't work right-side up  Might have to do a tear down for my design class.  You can use it upside-down as long as   you don't let up the pressure at all, but that's really difficult

RE: unexpected flaw in $30 Ryobi ROS - EricU - 08-10-2016

Robert,
Which drywall sander do you have?  Amazon sells some Chinese brand that doesn't cost much over $120 or so

RE: unexpected flaw in $30 Ryobi ROS - Robert Adams - 08-10-2016

I was going to buy the portercable one but they went from $150 to stupid priced...  There are a ton of dfferent ones out there. I should have gone for the one that comes apart and stores in its own case. I bought the one that basically has a drill mounted to the pole. It's a little heavy and tricky to use but it's a big time saver. 

I'll see what one it is tomorrow and let you know. I paid $130 for mine.

RE: unexpected flaw in $30 Ryobi ROS - EricU - 08-11-2016

Thanks,
BTW, it seems that your PM's are off.

RE: unexpected flaw in $30 Ryobi ROS - Robert Adams - 08-11-2016

Fixed it. Seems everything has been turned off in the migration to the new software. Will let you know which one it is this afternoon when I get home.

RE: unexpected flaw in $30 Ryobi ROS - Richard D. - 08-16-2016

I have the same problem with my pen.

RE: unexpected flaw in $30 Ryobi ROS - Robert Adams - 08-21-2016

Arghh let me type that again as the new forum looses everything typed when I switch to another tab in the browser...   Sorry I didn't reply when I should have but I got very busy and had to my up to ohio again.

OK I have one like this. 

http://www.alekodrywallsander.com/ALEKO_690E_Electric_Variable_Speed_Drywall_Sander_p/690e-ad.htm

If I were to do it again I would buy one like this as it sores nicely in a box. The one I have takes up allot of room and is a pain to store. 

http://www.alekodrywallsander.com/ALEKO_804B_Electric_Variable_Speed_Drywall_Sander_p/804b-ad.htm