unexpected flaw in $30 Ryobi ROS
  Re: (...)
you can't use it upside-down.  Was trying to use it to sand drywall compound on the ceiling, and the wheel kept moving up and there was a distinct loss of power.  Weird.

Guess I'll have to get a real ROS again.  In general, I'm not a fan of sanding, but sometimes it is necessary.
  Re: unexpected flaw in $30 Ryobi ROS by EricU (you can't use it ups...)
Interesring. I wonder if the armature is really loose and the brushes are loosing contact. I have used my 6" metabo and 6" ridgid once or twice on ceilings and worked fine. I love my Chinese made drywall sander now. Odd paper size but works way faster than by hand
is it a sander on a stick like the Porter Cable drywall sander?  I might have to get one of those, the PC got too expensive for how much I would use it

The Ryobi isn't the motor, it's something in the ROS mechanism. I think if it was the motor, it wouldn't work right-side up  Might have to do a tear down for my design class.  You can use it upside-down as long as   you don't let up the pressure at all, but that's really difficult
Robert,
Which drywall sander do you have?  Amazon sells some Chinese brand that doesn't cost much over $120 or so
I was going to buy the portercable one but they went from $150 to stupid priced...  There are a ton of dfferent ones out there. I should have gone for the one that comes apart and stores in its own case. I bought the one that basically has a drill mounted to the pole. It's a little heavy and tricky to use but it's a big time saver. 

I'll see what one it is tomorrow and let you know. I paid $130 for mine.
Thanks,
BTW, it seems that your PM's are off.
  Re: RE: unexpected flaw in $30 Ryobi ROS by EricU (Thanks, BTW, it see...)
Fixed it. Seems everything has been turned off in the migration to the new software. Will let you know which one it is this afternoon when I get home.
I have the same problem with my pen.
RD
------------------------------------------------------------------
"Boy could I have used those pocket screws!" ---Duncan Phyfe
Arghh let me type that again as the new forum looses everything typed when I switch to another tab in the browser...   Sorry I didn't reply when I should have but I got very busy and had to my up to ohio again.

OK I have one like this. 

http://www.alekodrywallsander.com/ALEKO_...90e-ad.htm

If I were to do it again I would buy one like this as it sores nicely in a box. The one I have takes up allot of room and is a pain to store. 

http://www.alekodrywallsander.com/ALEKO_...04b-ad.htm