Woodnet Forums
Ceiling fan lights--Candelabra bases! - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Ceiling fan lights--Candelabra bases! (/showthread.php?tid=7323307)

Pages: 1 2

Ceiling fan lights--Candelabra bases! - Cdshakes - 09-29-2016

So I've bought and installed a few ceiling fans within the past couple years.  I notice they all have candelabra base sockets these days-- guessing people kept putting 600 watt incandescent bulbs in their fans and causing fires....?
Problem is buying bulbs with candelabra bases.  Such limited LED options...what gives?  I love how they still make the ones that come to the candle type tip-- really people, are we fooling anyone thinking it's a real flame?  Also, the clear plastic is awful--trying looking at one of those--it's like looking into the sun.  
Going into a box store these days there's no CFL, mostly LED, and a teeny-tiny percent is candelabra--wish the fan manufacturers would just put medium bases on the fans, since most ppl buy some sort of energy efficient bulbs these days.

Colin

RE: Ceiling fan lights--Candelabra bases! - Gregory of Sherwood Forest - 09-29-2016

If you have a lighting store near you, check them out. They have more options than the borg's. Different effects, colors, light temperatures (in Kelvin), varieties of 'white', etc...

Most metro areas have a specialty lighting store. Ours is less than a mile away and has over 60 different candelabra bulbs.

RE: Ceiling fan lights--Candelabra bases! - JosephP - 09-29-2016

We just put in fans that came with LED candelabra base bulbs.  But I agree, I wish they had medium base...I looked at a lot of fans hoping to find one with these - very few have them.

Amazon has a bunch of candelabra base LED bulbs...

RE: Ceiling fan lights--Candelabra bases! - Bob10 - 09-29-2016

order on line avoid the drive and parking lot hassle

RE: Ceiling fan lights--Candelabra bases! - Gregory of Sherwood Forest - 09-29-2016

If you REALLY want to just use medium base bulbs, there are various styles of adapters you can use. I think you can find them on Amazon.

RE: Ceiling fan lights--Candelabra bases! - Bob10 - 09-29-2016

https://www.1000bulbs.com/category/led-decorative-bulbs/

RE: Ceiling fan lights--Candelabra bases! - fredhargis - 09-30-2016

I've found a fairly good selection of the candelabra based LED's around me. Thing is, they are so expensive  keep watching for close outs or special sales.

RE: Ceiling fan lights--Candelabra bases! - Cdshakes - 09-30-2016

(09-29-2016, 11:59 PM)Bob10 Wrote: https://www.1000bulbs.com/category/led-decorative-bulbs/

note both what i said about them looking like a fake candle tip, AND them being clear... this place sells them with both of those options...uggh.

RE: Ceiling fan lights--Candelabra bases! - Roly - 09-30-2016

Could you just put a different light kit on it ?   The big boxes sell them.   Roly

RE: Ceiling fan lights--Candelabra bases! - Cdshakes - 09-30-2016

maybe-- but why should i have to buy a light kit for a ceiling fan that i just installed?  If the stores would just offer more candelabra options, i wouldn't have to think about it.
(or if they just included light kits with medium bases like they did for 30+ years...)