Woodnet Forums
Xmas gifts - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Xmas gifts (/showthread.php?tid=7326473)

Pages: 1 2

Xmas gifts - Woodshop - 12-26-2016

some of this years gifts also some in woodturning

pair of simple boxes
walnut and maple

[attachment=25185]
[attachment=25186]

a pair of more complicated boxes . The other half of the board that made the top two box lids,  I made into veneer lids and curly maple edge for these
with purple heart interior. They have a hidden hand made latch with a hidden drawer

[attachment=25187]

One of the purple heart side panels opens the hidden drawer

[attachment=25188]

Removing the fake drawer pull and inserting it in the correct hole opens the lid
boxes are about 5 x 9"

[attachment=25189]

last a  flute case for ME, about 24" long  walnut with a hand made turn latch

I can't for the life of me find any really nice latches for very nice boxes. to me they all make it look like,,, well,, CHEEP.  so I usually end up hand making them.

[attachment=25190]
[attachment=25191]

Almost forgot about the Duck box

[attachment=25192]
[attachment=25193]

Hope you all had a very Merry Xmas
Don

RE: Xmas gifts - Bill Holt - 12-26-2016

Some good looking boxes.

I luuuuve the hidden latch!!!!!

I see the slot on the flute case but have not figured out how the latch works.  Does the knob rotate a hook to engage the brass pin?

I too have not been impressed with the "box latches" I have found.  For the last box I did for a friend, we ended choosing a keyed lock, but your hidden latch would have been perfect!

RE: Xmas gifts - Woodshop - 12-26-2016

Thanks
Yes it is a brass rotating hook on the knob

RE: Xmas gifts - Arlin Eastman - 12-26-2016

I love all of them and I am always amazed at what can be made out of wood and its beauty.

RE: Xmas gifts - Foggy - 12-26-2016

Great workmanship and beautiful material, but   x belongs in Texas and CHRIST belongs in Christmas.

RE: Xmas gifts - Adnick - 12-26-2016

Don't disagree with the above, but keep in mind that X is the first letter in the name for Christos in the Greek New Testament, from which we get Christ....

Regards,
Andy

RE: Xmas gifts - Woodshop - 12-29-2016

(12-26-2016, 06:08 PM)I little rescerchFoggy Wrote: Great workmanship and beautiful material, but   x belongs in Texas and CHRIST belongs in Christmas.

FYI
I meant no disrespect, that is the farthest thing from my mind. It is just an abbreviation to me been using it and all my family since I was a child, tough to me by the nuns of my Catholic church
secondly who statred this X being bad couldn't be more wrong
A little researcher :  google
The history of the word “Xmas” is actually more respectable — and fascinating — than you might suspect. First of all, the abbreviation predates by centuries its use in gaudy advertisements. It was first used in the mid 1500s. X is the Greek letter “chi,” the initial letter in the word Χριστός. And here’s the kicker: Χριστός means “Christ.” X has been an acceptable representation of the word “Christ” for hundreds of years. This device is known as a Christogram. The mas in Xmas is the Old English word for “mass.”  (The thought-provoking etymology of “mass” can be found here.) In the same vein, the dignified terms Xpian and Xtian have been used in place of the word “Christian.”

RE: Xmas gifts - JDuke - 12-29-2016

And the natural conclusion is that if X(Christ) is in the middle of TeXas then TeXas truly is Gods country...

RE: Xmas gifts - Ray Newman - 12-29-2016

Very nice work!

RE: Xmas gifts - BaileyNo5 - 12-30-2016

Great looking boxes, nice wood selections and good execution.  Did you make the flute as well?