Xmas gifts
some of this years gifts also some in woodturning

pair of simple boxes
walnut and maple

a pair of more complicated boxes . The other half of the board that made the top two box lids,  I made into veneer lids and curly maple edge for these
with purple heart interior. They have a hidden hand made latch with a hidden drawer

One of the purple heart side panels opens the hidden drawer

Removing the fake drawer pull and inserting it in the correct hole opens the lid
boxes are about 5 x 9"

last a  flute case for ME, about 24" long  walnut with a hand made turn latch

I can't for the life of me find any really nice latches for very nice boxes. to me they all make it look like,,, well,, CHEEP.  so I usually end up hand making them.

Almost forgot about the Duck box

Hope you all had a very Merry Xmas
Don
Life is what you make of it, change your thinking, change your life!
Don's woodshop
Some good looking boxes.

I luuuuve the hidden latch!!!!!

I see the slot on the flute case but have not figured out how the latch works.  Does the knob rotate a hook to engage the brass pin?

I too have not been impressed with the "box latches" I have found.  For the last box I did for a friend, we ended choosing a keyed lock, but your hidden latch would have been perfect!
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
Thanks
Yes it is a brass rotating hook on the knob
Don's woodshop
I love all of them and I am always amazed at what can be made out of wood and its beauty.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Great workmanship and beautiful material, but   x belongs in Texas and CHRIST belongs in Christmas.

My boss is a Jewish carpenter. Our DADDY owns the business.
Trying to understand some people is like trying to pick up the clean end of a turd.
Don't disagree with the above, but keep in mind that X is the first letter in the name for Christos in the Greek New Testament, from which we get Christ....

Regards,
Andy

-- mos maiorum
(12-26-2016, 06:08 PM)I little rescerchFoggy Wrote: Great workmanship and beautiful material, but   x belongs in Texas and CHRIST belongs in Christmas.

FYI
I meant no disrespect, that is the farthest thing from my mind. It is just an abbreviation to me been using it and all my family since I was a child, tough to me by the nuns of my Catholic church
secondly who statred this X being bad couldn't be more wrong
A little researcher :  google
The history of the word “Xmas” is actually more respectable — and fascinating — than you might suspect. First of all, the abbreviation predates by centuries its use in gaudy advertisements. It was first used in the mid 1500s. X is the Greek letter “chi,” the initial letter in the word Χριστός. And here’s the kicker: Χριστός means “Christ.” X has been an acceptable representation of the word “Christ” for hundreds of years. This device is known as a Christogram. The mas in Xmas is the Old English word for “mass.”  (The thought-provoking etymology of “mass” can be found here.) In the same vein, the dignified terms Xpian and Xtian have been used in place of the word “Christian.”
Don's woodshop
And the natural conclusion is that if X(Christ) is in the middle of TeXas then TeXas truly is Gods country...
Thumbs Up 
Very nice work!
Great looking boxes, nice wood selections and good execution.  Did you make the flute as well?
True power makes no noise - Albert Schweitzer.       It's obvious he was referring to hand tools