Woodnet Forums
making a hammer handle - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: making a hammer handle (/showthread.php?tid=7326475)

Pages: 1 2

making a hammer handle - overland - 12-26-2016

I'm making an 8 oz. plane adjusting hammer with faces of brass and wood. My question is a little simple-minded: what size should the handle be? What size blank should I start with? and which way should the grain go? I've never made one and would be grateful for any advice.

RE: making a hammer handle - AHill - 12-27-2016

The grain should be lengthwise. The size should be whatever is comfortable for you to hold. The plane hammers I've seen run on the slender side. Maybe 1 to 1-1/2" in diameter.

RE: making a hammer handle - Derek Cohen - 12-27-2016

This is very comfortable. The taper ensures that the hammer will not fly out of my hand.

[Image: Plane-hammer2_zps9ac9ee03.jpg]

I do not recommend a wooden face. Every one I have had cracked after a while. I now use nylon on one end. This is hard and gives good feedback. Very durable.

Regards from Perth

Derek

RE: making a hammer handle - overland - 12-28-2016

Derek --- What are the dimensions of that handle?

RE: making a hammer handle - KlausK. - 12-29-2016

I've made a few like these in two sizes.

[Image: P1030761.jpg]

[Image: P1030766.jpg]

The overall length is about 10-1/2", the weight is about 7 oz and the cross section of the ovally shaped handle is about 3/4 x 5/8". The head diameter is about 3/4". One face is ebony as the handle is as well. There wasn't an issue with the wooden face yet. If it will crack somewhere down the road, it won't be a big deal to replace it.

Klaus

RE: making a hammer handle - overland - 12-29-2016

Gorgeous hammers, all of them. The one I'm making will be much simpler. But functional, I hope. I'll be prepared to replace the wood face if necessary.

RE: making a hammer handle - daddo - 12-29-2016

I'd be afraid to use you guys' tools. They're too purdy!  
Wink

RE: making a hammer handle - Derek Cohen - 12-30-2016

(12-28-2016, 07:30 PM)overland Wrote: Derek --- What are the dimensions of that handle?

The handle is 9 1/2" long. The brass head has a diameter of 7/8".

Regards from Perth

Derek

RE: making a hammer handle - bandit571 - 12-30-2016

[attachment=758]
[attachment=757]
The main plane hammer I use is an old riveting hammer....about 6-7oz.   Has a square end and a cross pean end.    Of course, it is also my brad driver hammer.    And used with a nail set, too. 

I did make a handle for sn old, small Cobbler's Hammer.     I think it was out of Oak.    Mainly used a spokeshave to get it close to what felt good in my hand.   A wipe-on/wipe-off of BLO for a finish.

RE: making a hammer handle - Arlin Eastman - 12-30-2016

Bandit

It sure is nice to see you posting here
Yes   I never knew you were here and now I will try to see what you post and maybe all the rehabs on tools you get.