making a hammer handle
I'm making an 8 oz. plane adjusting hammer with faces of brass and wood. My question is a little simple-minded: what size should the handle be? What size blank should I start with? and which way should the grain go? I've never made one and would be grateful for any advice.
The grain should be lengthwise. The size should be whatever is comfortable for you to hold. The plane hammers I've seen run on the slender side. Maybe 1 to 1-1/2" in diameter.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
This is very comfortable. The taper ensures that the hammer will not fly out of my hand.

[Image: Plane-hammer2_zps9ac9ee03.jpg]

I do not recommend a wooden face. Every one I have had cracked after a while. I now use nylon on one end. This is hard and gives good feedback. Very durable.

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
Derek --- What are the dimensions of that handle?
I've made a few like these in two sizes.

[Image: P1030761.jpg]

[Image: P1030766.jpg]

The overall length is about 10-1/2", the weight is about 7 oz and the cross section of the ovally shaped handle is about 3/4 x 5/8". The head diameter is about 3/4". One face is ebony as the handle is as well. There wasn't an issue with the wooden face yet. If it will crack somewhere down the road, it won't be a big deal to replace it.

Klaus
Gorgeous hammers, all of them. The one I'm making will be much simpler. But functional, I hope. I'll be prepared to replace the wood face if necessary.
I'd be afraid to use you guys' tools. They're too purdy!  
Wink
(12-28-2016, 07:30 PM)overland Wrote: Derek --- What are the dimensions of that handle?

The handle is 9 1/2" long. The brass head has a diameter of 7/8".

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com

The main plane hammer I use is an old riveting hammer....about 6-7oz.   Has a square end and a cross pean end.    Of course, it is also my brad driver hammer.    And used with a nail set, too. 

I did make a handle for sn old, small Cobbler's Hammer.     I think it was out of Oak.    Mainly used a spokeshave to get it close to what felt good in my hand.   A wipe-on/wipe-off of BLO for a finish.
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
Bandit

It sure is nice to see you posting here
Yes   I never knew you were here and now I will try to see what you post and maybe all the rehabs on tools you get.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.