Woodnet Forums
Clamp Suggestion - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Clamp Suggestion (/showthread.php?tid=7327493)

Pages: 1 2 3

Clamp Suggestion - Gibbcutter - 01-31-2017

Pipe or bar clamps....

RE: Clamp Suggestion - Guest - 01-31-2017

For what application?

RE: Clamp Suggestion - Gibbcutter - 01-31-2017

Gluing up for multiple applications.

RE: Clamp Suggestion - Strokes77 - 01-31-2017

People will disagree with me. But I have both $50+ parallel clamps of various makers, and the cheap aluminum $9 clamps from HF... I like the HF clamps far more. Lighter and easier to use. Highly recommend.

RE: Clamp Suggestion - Bill Holt - 01-31-2017

My guess, I use the Jet parallel bar clamps 90% of the time, hand screws 8%, pipe and F clamps make up the balance.

RE: Clamp Suggestion - JGrout - 01-31-2017

Most bang for the buck 

Pipe clamps

RE: Clamp Suggestion - sweensdv2 - 01-31-2017

I hate pipe clamps! For me, parallel clamps and F-clamps are my main go to clamps.

RE: Clamp Suggestion - BloomingtonMike - 01-31-2017

Of your choices I like parallels. Having collections of each kind is very handy.

RE: Clamp Suggestion - rwe2156 - 01-31-2017

Its mostly a matter of economics but actually,  its only about 2:1 on the cost for a 24 or 36" clamp.  Where you save money is clamps 48" and longer.  BTW, I've seen master ww'ers shops with walls full of pipe clamps.

I use parallel clamps mostly & I keep several 60" long pipe clamps for longer applications. 

The biggest drawback to pipe clamps is they tend to make a panel bow due to non-parallel forces.  Therefore, it takes twice as many because you have to do opposing clamps. 

BTW with a little tuning those cheap Harbor Freight aluminum bar clamps actually aren't bad.  ;-)

RE: Clamp Suggestion - daddo - 01-31-2017

Better than pipe clamps for wood.

[Image: detail.jpg?c=1480922620]

I have a set of F clamps made in Germany with a 4" throat I use a lot. These particular ones aren't made anymore but they do have some that aren't quite as heavy duty now. These are my go to clamps unless I'm gluing up small stuff.