Woodnet Forums
bandsaw blade tracking help - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: bandsaw blade tracking help (/showthread.php?tid=7328115)

Pages: 1 2

bandsaw blade tracking help - konaman - 02-20-2017

I just tried to install a 1/8" balde on my 14" bandsaw and it keeps tracking off the wheels.  My resaw blade tracks fine.  What could be the problem and solution?
I have a grizzly g0555x bandsaw.

RE: bandsaw blade tracking help - jteneyck - 02-20-2017

Start with the blade on the center of the top wheel, and take the tension up to wherever the 1/8" scale is on the tension gage.  Spin the wheels manually and adjust the tilt mechanism to keep the blade centered on the top wheel.  Now, where is the blade running on the bottom wheel?  It should be somewhere forward of center or centered.  If it's behind center something is likely wrong with your wheel alignment.  

John

RE: bandsaw blade tracking help - MikeBob - 02-20-2017

(02-20-2017, 04:22 PM)konaman Wrote: I just tried to install a 1/8" balde on my 14" bandsaw and it keeps tracking off the wheels.  My resaw blade tracks fine.  What could be the problem and solution?

Did you adjust your blade support bearing for the smaller blade?

RE: bandsaw blade tracking help - konaman - 02-20-2017

at first the blade is centered on top and then the bottom keeps moving forward, the blade is not fully tensioned.  should I fully tension it before I adjust the tracking?  I did have the guides out of the way and then I tried it with the guides adjusted.

RE: bandsaw blade tracking help - RPE1 - 02-20-2017

Go to YouTube and type in Alex Snodgrass.  I have the same bandsaw as you.  I watched his video and mine has never worked better.
Take notes and do everything in the order he says.

RP

RE: bandsaw blade tracking help - JGrout - 02-20-2017

(02-20-2017, 05:14 PM)konaman Wrote: at first the blade is centered on top and then the bottom keeps moving forward, the blade is not fully tensioned.  should I fully tension it before I adjust the tracking?  I did have the guides out of the way and then I tried it with the guides adjusted.

I always tension first, track second, adjust guides last

RE: bandsaw blade tracking help - jteneyck - 02-20-2017

As Joe said, tension first.  This is especially important on narrow blades where the tension force is low even at full tension, and a prime reason they can behave so squirrely.  

John

RE: bandsaw blade tracking help - konaman - 02-20-2017

what is a good way to know when the blade it at correct tension without an expensive tool?

RE: bandsaw blade tracking help - JGrout - 02-20-2017

how good is your ear? 

low G on a guitar is one way 

you can make one for the price of a DI at harbor freight as well but I do not like mine on blades under 1/4" so I use a the above

RE: bandsaw blade tracking help - Rob Young - 02-20-2017

(02-20-2017, 04:22 PM)konaman Wrote: I just tried to install a 1/8" balde on my 14" bandsaw and it keeps tracking off the wheels.  My resaw blade tracks fine.  What could be the problem and solution?

The eccentric behind the bearings may not allow them to be retracted sufficiently to prevent the bearings from pushing the blade forward. Grizzly has a note in the manual for the G0555lx about replacements being available.