bandsaw blade tracking help
I just tried to install a 1/8" balde on my 14" bandsaw and it keeps tracking off the wheels.  My resaw blade tracks fine.  What could be the problem and solution?
I have a grizzly g0555x bandsaw.
Start with the blade on the center of the top wheel, and take the tension up to wherever the 1/8" scale is on the tension gage.  Spin the wheels manually and adjust the tilt mechanism to keep the blade centered on the top wheel.  Now, where is the blade running on the bottom wheel?  It should be somewhere forward of center or centered.  If it's behind center something is likely wrong with your wheel alignment.  

John
(02-20-2017, 04:22 PM)konaman Wrote: I just tried to install a 1/8" balde on my 14" bandsaw and it keeps tracking off the wheels.  My resaw blade tracks fine.  What could be the problem and solution?

Did you adjust your blade support bearing for the smaller blade?
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE EQUALS WISDOM. RMB
The SO asked me today, "what are you going to do to day"? I said "nothing".  She said, "that's what you did yesterday"! Me, "Yes love, but I was not finished yet"!!!!!!!!
Smirk

at first the blade is centered on top and then the bottom keeps moving forward, the blade is not fully tensioned.  should I fully tension it before I adjust the tracking?  I did have the guides out of the way and then I tried it with the guides adjusted.
Go to YouTube and type in Alex Snodgrass.  I have the same bandsaw as you.  I watched his video and mine has never worked better.
Take notes and do everything in the order he says.

RP
(02-20-2017, 05:14 PM)konaman Wrote: at first the blade is centered on top and then the bottom keeps moving forward, the blade is not fully tensioned.  should I fully tension it before I adjust the tracking?  I did have the guides out of the way and then I tried it with the guides adjusted.

I always tension first, track second, adjust guides last
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

As Joe said, tension first.  This is especially important on narrow blades where the tension force is low even at full tension, and a prime reason they can behave so squirrely.  

John
what is a good way to know when the blade it at correct tension without an expensive tool?
how good is your ear? 

low G on a guitar is one way 

you can make one for the price of a DI at harbor freight as well but I do not like mine on blades under 1/4" so I use a the above
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

(02-20-2017, 04:22 PM)konaman Wrote: I just tried to install a 1/8" balde on my 14" bandsaw and it keeps tracking off the wheels.  My resaw blade tracks fine.  What could be the problem and solution?

The eccentric behind the bearings may not allow them to be retracted sufficiently to prevent the bearings from pushing the blade forward. Grizzly has a note in the manual for the G0555lx about replacements being available.
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin