Woodnet Forums
can this motor be reversed? - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: can this motor be reversed? (/showthread.php?tid=7328340)

Pages: 1 2

can this motor be reversed? - Wild Turkey - 02-28-2017

Older 1/6 hp motor has 5 terminals.  I reversed white and black and no change.

It has five numbered terminals -- 1 and 2 are  left to right on top row; 3,5 and 4 are in bottom column.

hot and neutral are hooked to 1 and 3.

any ideas or am I stuck figuring a way to mount it so the wet grinder I'm using it on will turn the right way.
Confused
Confused

[Image: old%20motor.jpg]

RE: can this motor be reversed? - JGrout - 02-28-2017

try crossing the drive belt. 

if you have enough belt that works fine

RE: can this motor be reversed? - Stwood_ - 02-28-2017

No diagram under the cover? No plate on the outside case?

RE: can this motor be reversed? - TDKPE - 02-28-2017

What does the nameplate say, i.e. dual-voltage? Thermally protected? Reversible (rotation box perhaps)?

RE: can this motor be reversed? - Wild Turkey - 02-28-2017

Too small/old for anything but basic info on nameplate. If there was a wiring diagram it's covered with paint/crud.

RE: can this motor be reversed? - kurt18947 - 03-03-2017

(02-28-2017, 05:58 PM)JGrout Wrote: try crossing the drive belt. 

if you have enough belt that works fine

[OT] I'd forgotten about that trick. From my childhood I remember an Allis-Chalmers pull type combine. It had a  l o n g V belt (maybe 10 ft.+) driving several parts and had a couple reversals. Needed a diagram to install the belt so everything turned in the right direction.

RE: can this motor be reversed? - TDKPE - 03-03-2017

The original Struck Kit Minidozer used that technique for reverse.  I still have the Popular Science science magazine from the 60's which featured that little dozer.  
Laugh

RE: can this motor be reversed? - TDKPE - 03-03-2017

(02-28-2017, 09:05 PM)Wild Turkey Wrote: Too  small/old for anything but basic info on nameplate.  If there was a wiring diagram it's covered with paint/crud.

If you're willing to take some resistance readings with a DMM, we can probably figure out if it's reversible.

RE: can this motor be reversed? - Mac1 - 03-03-2017

If it turns out it can't be electrically reversed, there is a way.Remove the endbells and rotor. Reassemble with the bells and rotor reversed. You will have to extend the wiring from one side of the center housing to the other side.  A bit of trouble to do, but it works.  I have reversed several motors this way.

Never mind - Wild Turkey - 03-05-2017

Mounted motor on other side to reverse the direction of rotation.

Turned it on and guess what -- now it runs backwards
Rolleyes

only spent half a day mounting it.
Uhoh