Woodnet Forums
Adjustable height monitor station - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Adjustable height monitor station (/showthread.php?tid=7329505)

Pages: 1 2

Adjustable height monitor station - Gary G™ - 04-15-2017

Anyone build or have seen plans for a dual monitor workstation to fit on a desk such that one can stand or sit and easily switch between the two during the day?

RE: Adjustable height monitor station - BloomingtonMike - 04-15-2017

I use heavy duty ergotron stands on my cnc. One came from a hospital that I added parts too purchased by a reseller on ebay. It was designed to mount to a wall. The have all kinds of styles out there.you. Just get on designed to mount to a cable hole on a desk.

RE: Adjustable height monitor station - Cecil - 04-15-2017

no, but I have my eye on this
http://www.upliftdesk.com/

Scroll down the page and they have a DIY option, i.e. buy the mechanism.  Unless priorities change, that will be my fall project.

RE: Adjustable height monitor station - Gary G™ - 04-15-2017

More than anything I'm looking for a wood solution for a lift mechanism in an add on to an existing desk.
If I were to buy one, this looks real good:

[Image: TaskmatePhoto_376.jpg]

I've seen this or one very similar at work.
If I can figure out the mechanics for raising and lowering it, the rest is easy.

RE: Adjustable height monitor station - JGrout - 04-15-2017

use the same basic principle behind a weighted double hung window

RE: Adjustable height monitor station - clockman - 04-15-2017

most use an adjustable tension spring(s)

RE: Adjustable height monitor station - Mr_Mike - 04-15-2017

We use https://www.varidesk.com/ at work and I'd not want to build my own.

FWIW, I have a stand up desk at home (hand-me-down from my father). I sometimes stand, sometimes use a tall bar stool.

Perhaps your solution is to build a stand-up desk instead.

RE: Adjustable height monitor station - JGrout - 04-15-2017

maybe everyone is overthinking this (including me) 

how about  heavy spring or better yet a lift cylinder like used on a lift gate for a car on the inside and a slot and lock pin on the back of the sliding top.... the top would wrap around the post using a slip fit and some sort of guiding system like UHMW around the perimeter of the slide against the post

the "desktop" would have to be pushed down against the spring and latched at the bottom then released to allow it to rise. 

Probably finding the correct lift cylinder may be your biggest hurdle the rest is just WW really 

Joe

RE: Adjustable height monitor station - iclark - 04-15-2017

How about using one of the cantilever lift kits that they sell for coffee tables?

RE: Adjustable height monitor station - janus frey - 04-16-2017

(04-15-2017, 09:10 PM)JGrout Wrote: the "desktop" would have to be pushed down against the spring and latched at the bottom then released to allow it to rise. 

Joe

Yabbut, wouldn't it shoot straight up and knock your teeth out if you weren't holding it?