Woodnet Forums
How to blacken ther marking on a ruler? - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: How to blacken ther marking on a ruler? (/showthread.php?tid=7329607)

Pages: 1 2 3

How to blacken ther marking on a ruler? - yuri - 04-19-2017

I got a small ruler which I like and want use it. Here it is.

[Image: ruler.jpg]

As you can see the ruler has a low contrast and not that easy to use. I want to blacken etched marking on the rule. Anybody care to advise how to do it and what to use, if it possible at all?
[font="Helvetica Neue",Helvetica,sans-serif]Save[/font]

RE: How to blacken ther marking on a ruler? - jlanciani - 04-19-2017

Try shoe polish first, if the etch is deep enough it works well. Otherwise you need to use enamel paint; paint the whole ruler and wipe it off with a rag on a block of wood. It will leave the enamel in the etch and remove the rest.

RE: How to blacken ther marking on a ruler? - Robert Adams - 04-19-2017

Paint or paint pen and wipe off the excess. Do it to your sockets and wrenches as well.

RE: How to blacken ther marking on a ruler? - Phil S. - 04-19-2017

I was at a display of inlayed guitars at the MIM in Phoenix (https://mim.org/exhibits/special-exhibitions/dragons-and-vines-exhibition/ Check it out if you want to see some $300K+ guitars).  One item that caught my eye (that I thought I could afford) was a marker they used to highlight etching on some of the inlay pieces.  It was a Markal B Paintstik.  Thought I'd like to try one for the same purpose you're proposing.  MSC has them for about $1.50 each, but I imagine a minimum order is going to mess that up.  Amazon has them, but in packs of 10.

Phil

RE: How to blacken ther marking on a ruler? - goaliedad - 04-19-2017

I have used a sharpie- smear it on, wipe it off. Do a small test first.

RE: How to blacken ther marking on a ruler? - Richard D. - 04-19-2017

Sharpie

RE: How to blacken ther marking on a ruler? - Lynden - 04-19-2017

Maybe a gun blacking touch-up pen.   

gun black pen

RE: How to blacken ther marking on a ruler? - yuri - 04-20-2017

Guys,
thank you for suggestions.
I tried regular black sharpie, does not work well, quickly return to original condition due to handling.
Yesterday I was in Homedepot and bought Sharpie oil based paint pen. Did not work either. The paint does not adhere well to the ruler besides it is brittle and when I tried clean around etching whole thing just went off.

RE: How to blacken ther marking on a ruler? - Mr_Mike - 04-20-2017

I'd just use a black crayon and re-apply as required.

RE: How to blacken ther marking on a ruler? - Arlin Eastman - 04-20-2017

Put black ink over the whole thing and then lightly sand it down.  The black ink will stay in the shallow areas and you will have a great ruler again