Woodnet Forums
What next??? - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: What next??? (/showthread.php?tid=7331020)

What next??? - Bill Holt - 06-16-2017

I am hard headed, stubborn, old....

While I enjoy playing at the lathe, I would never claim to be a turner.  Yet I like to try new challenges, but I usually do it my way without checking with the "experts".  I have created my first segmented turning.  The goal is a segmented box for "Beads of Courage".  Right now the finished form (roughly 6" x 6") is on a glue block secured to a face plate.
   1.  What do I do next?
   2.  How do I part off the glue block?
   3.  I have a Talon chuck and jumbo jaws...is that a safe way to clean up the bottom of the box once I have parted them?

It would be reasonable to think I might have learned my lesson.  We can only hope!!!!!!!!!!!

I do look forward to your words of wisdom.

RE: What next??? - MichaelMouse - 06-16-2017

Why part?  Chuck up the piece in reverse and turn off the waste block.  Use the tailstock for all but the very last. I clean up the bottoms of boxes that way no sweat  and no risk of a parting tool dig.

RE: What next??? - SteveS - 06-16-2017

I have an assistant ready to keep the vessel from bouncing away. I also wrap the vessel in bubble wrap and put a sock over the tool rest to avoid damage. I also turn the speed down pretty low once I get close to the parting point.

Seems like a non-elegant solution, but I haven't figured out much else, other than having my steady rest engaged to help keep it from flying off.

RE: What next??? - SceneryMaker - 06-16-2017

(06-16-2017, 05:46 PM)SteveS Wrote: Seems like a non-elegant solution

It's only non-elegant if it doesn't work.

If you glued it on with CA, a thin blade like a stiff putty knife in the glue joint will break the brittle glue line. If you used wood glue, I'd reverse it, hold it on a padded chuck with the tailstock and turn most of it off because my parting tool and I don't get along very well.

RE: What next??? - Bill Holt - 06-17-2017

Thank you guys for the help.

Michael...good idea, I can do that.

Steve...I have been told I am impossible to work with, so I have no assistant.  I do like the idea of wrapping your work for protection.

SceneryMaker...why didn't you read my mind and tell me about the CA trick before you knew about my question?  CA is a hack worth remembering.

Once again WN to the rescue.  Thank you guys.

RE: What next??? - Arlin Eastman - 06-17-2017

(06-16-2017, 05:46 PM)MichaelMouse Wrote: Why part?  Chuck up the piece in reverse and turn off the waste block.  Use the tailstock for all but the very last. I clean up the bottoms of boxes that way no sweat  and no risk of a parting tool dig.

+1 on what MM said.

One thing tho.  Make sure you take the faceplate off after you reverse it or it will go spinning.
Winkgrin
Winkgrin

Also I am very much looking forward to seeing what you made.
Yes
Cool

RE: What next??? - iclark - 06-17-2017

(06-16-2017, 05:46 PM)SteveS Wrote: I have an assistant ready to keep the vessel from bouncing away. I also wrap the vessel in bubble wrap and put a sock over the tool rest to avoid damage. I also turn the speed down pretty low once I get close to the parting point.

Seems like a non-elegant solution, but I haven't figured out much else, other than having my steady rest engaged to help keep it from flying off.

An alternative to the steady rest is to do a piece of wood on the live center in the tail stock shaped rather like an under-sized jamb chuck with some scotchbrite between the live center block and the inside of the bowl.

Part the faceplate block down to an inch or so and then use a hand saw to finish parting the bowl off (with the lathe turned off).

RE: What next??? - hairy - 06-18-2017

Some things I turn get parted off at the bandsaw. I have a sled to keep round pieces from rolling while cutting. Thinner kerf than anything else I have.

[Image: 140108-438x_zpspy55kl4u.jpg]