What next???
I am hard headed, stubborn, old....

While I enjoy playing at the lathe, I would never claim to be a turner.  Yet I like to try new challenges, but I usually do it my way without checking with the "experts".  I have created my first segmented turning.  The goal is a segmented box for "Beads of Courage".  Right now the finished form (roughly 6" x 6") is on a glue block secured to a face plate.
   1.  What do I do next?
   2.  How do I part off the glue block?
   3.  I have a Talon chuck and jumbo jaws...is that a safe way to clean up the bottom of the box once I have parted them?

It would be reasonable to think I might have learned my lesson.  We can only hope!!!!!!!!!!!

I do look forward to your words of wisdom.
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
Why part?  Chuck up the piece in reverse and turn off the waste block.  Use the tailstock for all but the very last. I clean up the bottoms of boxes that way no sweat  and no risk of a parting tool dig.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
I have an assistant ready to keep the vessel from bouncing away. I also wrap the vessel in bubble wrap and put a sock over the tool rest to avoid damage. I also turn the speed down pretty low once I get close to the parting point.

Seems like a non-elegant solution, but I haven't figured out much else, other than having my steady rest engaged to help keep it from flying off.
Cellulose runs through my veins!
(06-16-2017, 05:46 PM)SteveS Wrote: Seems like a non-elegant solution

It's only non-elegant if it doesn't work.

If you glued it on with CA, a thin blade like a stiff putty knife in the glue joint will break the brittle glue line. If you used wood glue, I'd reverse it, hold it on a padded chuck with the tailstock and turn most of it off because my parting tool and I don't get along very well.
We do segmented turning, not because it is easy, but because it is hard.
Thank you guys for the help.

Michael...good idea, I can do that.

Steve...I have been told I am impossible to work with, so I have no assistant.  I do like the idea of wrapping your work for protection.

SceneryMaker...why didn't you read my mind and tell me about the CA trick before you knew about my question?  CA is a hack worth remembering.

Once again WN to the rescue.  Thank you guys.
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
(06-16-2017, 05:46 PM)MichaelMouse Wrote: Why part?  Chuck up the piece in reverse and turn off the waste block.  Use the tailstock for all but the very last. I clean up the bottoms of boxes that way no sweat  and no risk of a parting tool dig.

+1 on what MM said.

One thing tho.  Make sure you take the faceplate off after you reverse it or it will go spinning.
Winkgrin
Winkgrin

Also I am very much looking forward to seeing what you made.
Yes
Cool
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
(06-16-2017, 05:46 PM)SteveS Wrote: I have an assistant ready to keep the vessel from bouncing away. I also wrap the vessel in bubble wrap and put a sock over the tool rest to avoid damage. I also turn the speed down pretty low once I get close to the parting point.

Seems like a non-elegant solution, but I haven't figured out much else, other than having my steady rest engaged to help keep it from flying off.

An alternative to the steady rest is to do a piece of wood on the live center in the tail stock shaped rather like an under-sized jamb chuck with some scotchbrite between the live center block and the inside of the bowl.

Part the faceplate block down to an inch or so and then use a hand saw to finish parting the bowl off (with the lathe turned off).
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
Some things I turn get parted off at the bandsaw. I have a sled to keep round pieces from rolling while cutting. Thinner kerf than anything else I have.

[Image: 140108-438x_zpspy55kl4u.jpg]