Woodnet Forums
Jointer alignment help - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Jointer alignment help (/showthread.php?tid=7333137)

Jointer alignment help - Aram - 09-09-2017

I moved my Yorkcraft YC-8J jointer to my new shop, re-installed the tables, and I'm having alignment issues. It's been years since I did this from scratch, and I don't remember how I handled this last time.

First, both tables are very flat. My main issue is that the infeed table is tilted across its width compared to the cutter head. If I level one edge with the cutter at its highest point, the other edge is about 0.025" higher. That's a lot. The outfeed table is much better aligned, though the difference is still around 0.005, which is a little more than I like to see.

I could correct for a few thou by shimming the ways. I don't know how to fix 25 thousandths. The jointer has always worked beautifully and I'm pretty sure I had it dialed in way back when.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

RE: Jointer alignment help - JGrout - 09-09-2017

(09-09-2017, 06:42 PM)Aram Wrote: I moved my Yorkcraft YC-8J jointer to my new shop, re-installed the tables, and I'm having alignment issues. It's been years since I did this from scratch, and I don't remember how I handled this last time.

First, both tables are very flat. My main issue is that the infeed table is tilted across its width compared to the cutter head. If I level one edge with the cutter at its highest point, the other edge is about 0.025" higher. That's a lot. The outfeed table is much better aligned, though the difference is still around 0.005, which is a little more than I like to see.

I could correct for a few thou by shimming the ways. I don't know how to fix 25 thousandths. The jointer has always worked beautifully and I'm pretty sure I had it dialed in way back when.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

make sure your wedges in the table/base are not in a bind.  that wreaks more havoc than anything else when they are that far out

RE: Jointer alignment help - Aram - 09-09-2017

(09-09-2017, 07:53 PM)JGrout Wrote: make sure your wedges in the table/base are not in a bind.  that wreaks more havoc than anything else when they are that far out

Thanks. I'll check tomorrow.

RE: Jointer alignment help - Aram - 09-10-2017

(09-09-2017, 08:35 PM)Aram Wrote: Thanks. I'll check tomorrow.

Took the table off, cleaned everything, put it back together. Also I made sure the gib screw was in the gib indentation, which maybe I missed the first time. Much better now!

RE: Jointer alignment help - JGrout - 09-10-2017

(09-10-2017, 05:11 PM)Aram Wrote: Took the table off, cleaned everything, put it back together. Also I made sure the gib screw was in the gib indentation, which maybe I missed the first time. Much better now!

thanks for the update this helps others more than most can ever know