Jointer alignment help
I moved my Yorkcraft YC-8J jointer to my new shop, re-installed the tables, and I'm having alignment issues. It's been years since I did this from scratch, and I don't remember how I handled this last time.

First, both tables are very flat. My main issue is that the infeed table is tilted across its width compared to the cutter head. If I level one edge with the cutter at its highest point, the other edge is about 0.025" higher. That's a lot. The outfeed table is much better aligned, though the difference is still around 0.005, which is a little more than I like to see.

I could correct for a few thou by shimming the ways. I don't know how to fix 25 thousandths. The jointer has always worked beautifully and I'm pretty sure I had it dialed in way back when.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Best,
Aram, always learning

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Web: My woodworking photo site
(09-09-2017, 06:42 PM)Aram Wrote: I moved my Yorkcraft YC-8J jointer to my new shop, re-installed the tables, and I'm having alignment issues. It's been years since I did this from scratch, and I don't remember how I handled this last time.

First, both tables are very flat. My main issue is that the infeed table is tilted across its width compared to the cutter head. If I level one edge with the cutter at its highest point, the other edge is about 0.025" higher. That's a lot. The outfeed table is much better aligned, though the difference is still around 0.005, which is a little more than I like to see.

I could correct for a few thou by shimming the ways. I don't know how to fix 25 thousandths. The jointer has always worked beautifully and I'm pretty sure I had it dialed in way back when.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

make sure your wedges in the table/base are not in a bind.  that wreaks more havoc than anything else when they are that far out
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

(09-09-2017, 07:53 PM)JGrout Wrote: make sure your wedges in the table/base are not in a bind.  that wreaks more havoc than anything else when they are that far out

Thanks. I'll check tomorrow.
Best,
Aram, always learning

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” Antoine de Saint-Exupery

(09-09-2017, 08:35 PM)Aram Wrote: Thanks. I'll check tomorrow.

Took the table off, cleaned everything, put it back together. Also I made sure the gib screw was in the gib indentation, which maybe I missed the first time. Much better now!
Best,
Aram, always learning

(09-10-2017, 05:11 PM)Aram Wrote: Took the table off, cleaned everything, put it back together. Also I made sure the gib screw was in the gib indentation, which maybe I missed the first time. Much better now!

thanks for the update this helps others more than most can ever know
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy