Woodnet Forums
Woodgears.ca power feeder - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Woodgears.ca power feeder (/showthread.php?tid=7333274)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

RE: Woodgears.ca power feeder - JGrout - 09-18-2017

(09-18-2017, 11:41 AM)Phil Thien Wrote: "Who you gonna believe, your lying eyes or me, JGrout?"

People, watch the video, don't let him bomb yet another thread with his endless non sequiturs.

Watch the video and observe the position of the operator and his hands.  Is the device perfect?  Well, no, nothing is.  But it appears to work darn well for a prototype.

Joe, you own the record for thread destructions here, you needn't add to your totals, nobody will ever catch up to you.

my eyes do not lie, they tell the truth. 

You got a dangerous solution you continue to promote that has zero use in a functioning shop other than add to the danger in an already dangerous place. 

If you cannot see that for what it is I am sorry but you have to stop promoting a dangerous solution as some sort of vision 

The idea is ludicrous, your promotion shows your complete lack of thought in regards to personal safety and your unwillingness to understand that promoting an unsafe idea is EXACTLY the reason why  so many genuinely useful and functional safety devices are poo pahed away as silly and not needed. Then when one comes along that piques your interest with about a 1% chance of actually working you you latch onto  on like the second coming 

those of us with actual experience in the proper use and setup of a functional and useful device in assisting an operator not only in function but in safety are not stupid nor are we ignorant of the shortcomings of the cobbled together device that is supposed to replace a functional and useful power feeder.

Please stop promoting a dangerous solution just because what you *think* is I guess is *cheap and cool* in your mind.

It is definitely cheap but is is really not cool.........  frankly to continue to advocate for this is only embarrassing yourself.

RE: Woodgears.ca power feeder - Phil Thien - 09-18-2017

(09-18-2017, 12:06 PM)JGrout Wrote: my eyes do not lie, they tell the truth. 

You got a dangerous solution you continue to promote that has zero use in a functioning shop other than add to the danger in an already dangerous place. 

If you cannot see that for what it is I am sorry but you have to stop promoting a dangerous solution as some sort of vision 

The idea is ludicrous, your promotion shows your complete lack of thought in regards to personal safety and your unwillingness to understand that promoting an unsafe idea is EXACTLY the reason why  so many genuinely useful and functional safety devices are poo pahed away as silly and not needed. Then when one comes along that piques your interest with about a 1% chance of actually working you you latch onto  on like the second coming 

those of us with actual experience in the proper use and setup of a functional and useful device in assisting an operator not only in function but in safety are not stupid nor are we ignorant of the shortcomings of the cobbled together device that is supposed to replace a functional and useful power feeder.

Please stop promoting a dangerous solution just because what you *think* is I guess is *cheap and cool* in your mind.

It is definitely cheap but is is really not cool.........  frankly to continue to advocate for this is only embarrassing yourself.

Blah blah blah, you cannot backup anything you've said with anything other than pure conjecture.

Just watch the video, people, it speaks for itself.

RE: Woodgears.ca power feeder - 6270_Productions - 09-18-2017

(09-18-2017, 11:16 AM)JGrout Wrote: snip . . .

well unless you have stones enough to turn loose of the stock and watch it come flying back out of the machine.

. . . snip

To see real "stones", watch the video at -

0:46
0:52
1:00
4:42
4:46
6:01
6:20
6:52
7:13
7:41
and
8:28

RE: Woodgears.ca power feeder - jteneyck - 09-18-2017

(09-18-2017, 10:29 AM)Phil Thien Wrote: Maybe you had your blade adjusted too low.  If the wood can't contact the teeth at the top of the blade, the blade cannot impart substantial forward energy to the stock.

At the back of the blade the teeth are lower than the board being cut.  Any sideways rotation will cause the teeth to dig into the board and launch it forward.   Some person on YouTube demonstrated this quite dramatically awhile back - his thumb came within about a millimeter of the spinning blade when the board got pulled into the blade. 

John

(09-18-2017, 12:21 PM)Phil Thien Wrote: Blah blah blah, you cannot backup anything you've said with anything other than pure conjecture.

Just watch the video, people, it speaks for itself.

It is only conjecture in your delusional state of mind Phil. 

I have every confidence in my assertion that this is a dangerous and fatally flawed concept. 

Heck you cannot even see John's very well made point about kickback, how can you possibly see just how dangerous this particular idea is 

It is clear enough to me that you are doing this based on "I am right and anyone who disagrees is wrong"

(09-18-2017, 12:25 PM)6270_Productions Wrote: To see real "stones", watch the video at -

and

I cringed the first time I saw this at every one of those capture points. 

I agree that boy does have stones 

Winkgrin
Winkgrin
Winkgrin
Winkgrin

(09-18-2017, 12:25 PM)6270_Productions Wrote: To see real "stones", watch the video at -

and

(09-18-2017, 12:40 PM)JGrout Wrote: I cringed the first time I saw this at every one of those capture points. 

I agree that boy does have stones 

Winkgrin
Winkgrin
Winkgrin
Winkgrin

That was a waste of time.  I watched the first half or so, basically observed a man standing beside the tool as it was self-feeding/cutting/operating.

There are a couple of times in the video where he stands in the line of fire.  I'd avoid doing so whether using a home-build feeder or a commercial feeder.

I defy any of you to make a similar video, processing a similar amount of stock w/o a feeder, and show me how you'd work more safely.

You can't do it, it can't be done, there is no place safer than off to the side of the machine while it is working.  His device allows that, push sticks do not.

(09-18-2017, 12:50 PM)Phil Thien Wrote: That was a waste of time.  I watched the first half or so, basically observed a man standing beside the tool as it was self-feeding/cutting/operating.

There are a couple of times in the video where he stands in the line of fire.  I'd avoid doing so whether using a home-build feeder or a commercial feeder.

I defy any of you to make a similar video, processing a similar amount of stock w/o a feeder, and show me how you'd work more safely.

You can't do it, it can't be done, there is no place safer than off to the side of the machine while it is working.  His device allows that, push sticks do not.

Come back when you finally get your head around the concept of a safe setup Phil, right now you are not thinking clearly 

Rolleyes

(09-18-2017, 12:30 PM)jteneyck Wrote: At the back of the blade the teeth are lower than the board being cut.  Any sideways rotation will cause the teeth to dig into the board and launch it forward.   Some person on YouTube demonstrated this quite dramatically awhile back - his thumb came within about a millimeter of the spinning blade when the board got pulled into the blade. 

John

Matthias is well-aware of the dangers of kickback, here are just a couple of his videos on the subject:

As you can see, there isn't much force until that wood rides the top of the teeth.

This is all common sense and well documented, I'm surprised I'm having to argue about it with an engineer.

(09-18-2017, 12:56 PM)JGrout Wrote: Come back when you finally get your head around the concept of a safe setup Phil, right now you are not thinking clearly 

Rolleyes

Once again, that video tells the entire story, the story of a man standing there, hands at his sides, watching the work be done.

Anything that keeps your hands and body away = good thing.

Even if kickback were to occur, the chances of the operator being safely out of the range of fire would be substantially greater with the feeder, than without.

You guys can't argue that, you keep coming up with this "it isn't safe because I say so, trust me" appeal to authority nonsense.

Even John is smart enough to avoid that argument now, he is arguing what constitutes kickback, LOL.