Woodnet Forums
Curly ash question - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Curly ash question (/showthread.php?tid=7333464)

Curly ash question - Dave Diaman - 09-22-2017

Hey guys. I scored a ton of this curly ash that I'm going to turn into turning blanks to sell eventually. My question is about the moisture content. Right now they are 20-25% moisture content. Would turners in general rather have them at the current MC or prefer dry? I always turn dry material but I'm turning for furniture which is a whole different animal.
 photo CDFA63D7-61C3-4136-9547-03AEBBA73C3D_zps5zravren.jpg

RE: Curly ash question - Arlin Eastman - 09-23-2017

That is some nice wood for sure.

To me I really do not care what the MC is and would let it dry for a while when I had other things to make.  That also would be great for bowls and vases to.

Bowl sizes that I like are 8x8x3 to 10x10x4-5
Vases I like are 4x4x8-12 to 6x6x8-12

If you had a kiln that MC is about 10%

RE: Curly ash question - Mike67 - 09-23-2017

(09-22-2017, 07:56 PM)Dave Diaman Wrote: Hey guys. I scored a ton of this curly ash that I'm going to turn into turning blanks to sell eventually. My question is about the moisture content. Right now they are 20-25% moisture content. Would turners in general rather have them at the current MC or prefer dry? I always turn dry material but I'm turning for furniture which is a whole diff photo CDFA63D7-61C3-4136-9547-03AEBBA73C3D_zps5zravren.jpgerent animal.

Dave.
For bowls and vessels I think lots of turners prefer green wood so just cut and seal it and it'll be good to go.
I'd be interested in a couple vessel blanks. The sizes Arlin mentioned are good.
Mike

RE: Curly ash question - scpapa - 09-23-2017

I also agree with what Arlin said. I like his choices for sizes, also.

Rick

RE: Curly ash question - Dave Diaman - 09-23-2017

I'm going to go pick up the material tomorrow. It is all still in short log form right now so I will still need to break it down into blanks. It's too bad the tree wasn't clean enough for lumber because the wood is beautiful. I'm not a big ash fan but I just couldn't let that wood go into a fire wood pile somewhere. My guess was most turners would not want it dried but I wanted to make sure before I started cutting and sealing stuff.

RE: Curly ash question - Rodneywt1180b - 09-24-2017

Dave how much do you want for it?  I might be interested in some for cane shanks. I'd need them about 3 ft long by 1 1/2" square.
Pretty stuff.
Rodney

EDIT: Bigger is good too. I can rip it here.