Woodnet Forums
What are they called? - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: What are they called? (/showthread.php?tid=7333537)

Pages: 1 2 3

What are they called? - Halfathumb - 09-26-2017

I made several zero insert for my TS, but I'm running out of those screw inserts that are for adjusting the level, etc. But I can't find them because I don't remember what they're called.

Please help an old man remember and where I can get more.

BTW. Does anyone have a method of keeping track of what they're called and where to buy them, etc.

Jim

RE: What are they called? - Dave Diaman - 09-26-2017

(09-26-2017, 06:33 AM)Halfathumb Wrote: I made several zero insert for my TS, but I'm running out of those screw inserts that are for adjusting the level, etc. But I can't find them because I don't remember what they're called.

Please help an old man remember and where I can get more.

BTW. Does anyone have a method of keeping track of what they're called and where to buy them, etc.

Jim

Try hex set screws.

RE: What are they called? - AgGEM - 09-26-2017

Hardware store, a good NAPA, McMaster - Carr for sure.

RE: What are they called? - BrokenOlMarine - 09-26-2017

The first step in overcoming a problem, is admitting it exists. Lol. If you were to wander thru my workshop, you'd see wrench sizes for the various tools written neatly near the bolts. On my table saw is a small notation that says, "loosen" - with an arrow reminding me the blade retention nut is reverse threaded.

Once you find the nuts you need, write a note on the saw support for the fence: 3/16 hex nuts @ lowes. I use permament marker but it can be erased/with WD40.

RE: What are they called? - daddo - 09-26-2017

Flip a regular screw over and cut a slot in the end with a hacksaw and use a screwdriver. Just an option.

RE: What are they called? - Woodshop - 09-26-2017

This is a handy set to have on hand
  https://www.harborfreight.com/150-piece-set-screw-assortment-67671.html
once you have them set a bit of CA keeps them in place

RE: What are they called? - DaveR1 - 09-26-2017

If you buy a thousand of them, you won't need to remember what they are called or where to buy them. You'll only need to remember where you put them.
Big Grin

RE: What are they called? - DogwoodTales - 09-26-2017

Being that I tend to be a miser at times, I just use sandpaper to bring an insert down or aluminum tape to bring it up. Fast, cheap and works well for me :-)

RE: What are they called? - jteneyck - 09-26-2017

With the 1/2" thick ZCI's I make for my Unisaw I use regular screws.  They work fine and are easy to install.  

John

RE: What are they called? - Admiral - 09-26-2017

(09-26-2017, 09:08 AM)DogwoodTales Wrote: Being that I tend to be a miser at times, I just use sandpaper to bring an insert down or aluminum tape to bring it up. Fast, cheap and works well for me :-)

I shim with blue painters tape.