Woodnet Forums
Ebonizing Poplar - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Ebonizing Poplar (/showthread.php?tid=7334342)

Pages: 1 2 3

RE: Ebonizing Poplar - Danny in Houston - 11-02-2017

(11-02-2017, 06:29 PM)kurt18947 Wrote: "Iron staining, or ebonizing, generally uses a reaction between iron oxide and the natural tannins in wood to create a natural- looking black"

I didn't know that Poplar had significant amounts of tannins in it. I guess it does.

I guess you didn't read the part about adding tannins?  Suggest you go read the B. Boggs article.

RE: Ebonizing Poplar - Steve N - 11-04-2017

The method is what had been used traditionally to make inexpensive woods ebonized, it does have more steps than India Ink, which can also do a wonderful job. It's just a different path to get to the similar end (way of skinning that particular cat) just like fuming White Oak for a Stickley look, is done so much easier today using dye's. Choices in which path you take is all. Certainly works either way.

RE: Ebonizing Poplar - Danny in Houston - 11-04-2017

OK all these posts about India Ink got me to thinking, so I bought a small bottle and applied on a sample of poplar.  Looked jet black, so I'll let it dry overnight, apply a top coat, and compare to the iron acetate samples.  I will have to admit, India Ink sounds less complicated.  

Stay tuned.

RE: Ebonizing Poplar - Danny in Houston - 11-19-2017

I experimented with some India ink on poplar samples, looks good initially, but after various finishing experiments the Boggs method still looks better.  Both methods pretty much give a jet black color.  The key here is what you do next, not the coloring choice.

RE: Ebonizing Poplar - Danny in Houston - 03-13-2018

(11-04-2017, 06:27 PM)Danny in Houston Wrote: OK all these posts about India Ink got me to thinking, so I bought a small bottle and applied on a sample of poplar.  Looked jet black, so I'll let it dry overnight, apply a top coat, and compare to the iron acetate samples.  I will have to admit, India Ink sounds less complicated.  

Stay tuned.

I don't get on here much lately, super busy, but I did recently ebonize my poplar table base.  It worked great, except there were certain parts of the wood where I could not get the black color I desired.  I may have burnished the wood in some spots, thought I left it rough enough.  But long story short, after working with it for a long time, re-sanding, and applying the chemicals again, it turned out great!

I was going for a table base that looked like steel.  I wanted people to ask themselves "is that steel or wood?" since so many live edge tables have very plain rectangular bases.  This one is awesome:

Next I started oiling the table base with tung oil.  I let several coats soak in then I sanded with 400 grit.  The 135 yr old pecan slab had started to splat, but it's still rock solid.  The spalting  really added character to the wood.  I used black epoxy to fill the cracks, and with the black base it looks SICK!!

You can see more on Instagram:

@dwfinedesigns

RE: Ebonizing Poplar - gregbois - 03-13-2018

(03-13-2018, 08:41 PM)Danny in Houston Wrote: You can see more on Instagram:

@dwfinedesigns

Looks great.  Love the blackened base.  Wondering what Tung Oil you used?  The Real Milk Paint pure tung oil or one with drying agents and solvents added?

RE: Ebonizing Poplar - R Clark - 03-14-2018

That is a stunning table!

RE: Ebonizing Poplar - Danny in Houston - 03-14-2018

(03-13-2018, 10:36 PM)gregbois Wrote: Looks great.  Love the blackened base.  Wondering what Tung Oil you used?  The Real Milk Paint pure tung oil or one with drying agents and solvents added?

100% pure tung oil.