Woodnet Forums
Rocking chair finally done! - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Rocking chair finally done! (/showthread.php?tid=7334512)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Rocking chair finally done! - OneStaple - 11-04-2017

Hey all,

This project has been a long time in the making. It was technically a wedding present for my wife (now been married 4 years), and I had it about half done on our wedding day (it was a complete surprise). Then life got in the way, so it's taken a long time to finish. You can see our wedding date on the bottom of the chair in inlaid crushed turquoise.

The wood started as two bookmatched boards of walnut, including some beautiful crotch figure. I really wanted to use bookmatched crotch figure for the seat, so it took quite a while to find some that both looked right and didn't have cracks running throughout. I don't think I've seen crotch wood used in a seat before, although certainly someone else out there must have done it.

I followed Hal Taylor's plans, but made some modifications here and there to fit my taste. I didn't make many changes though, as this was my first chair. Probably the most noticeable one is the curves at the top of the back braces.

Of course, the chair has its "unique personality marks" (or mistakes), but I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. I certainly learned a lot along the way, especially about working with curves.

The finish is Arm-R-Seal.

Also, this was my first real attempt at doing "good" photographs of a project. I took the time to set up a (wrinkled) white sheet behind the chair, use a tripod, take pictures on a cloudy day outside, and do some minor (and amateur) photo editing. I certainly have lots of room for improvement, but am glad that I went to the effort.

Thanks for looking!
Tyler

RE: Rocking chair finally done! - OneStaple - 11-04-2017

One more picture.

Tyler

RE: Rocking chair finally done! - AgGEM - 11-04-2017

Drop - dead gorgeous.
Sam be proud of you.
Ag

RE: Rocking chair finally done! - Ray Newman - 11-04-2017

To say the least, it is very impressive workmanship!

RE: Rocking chair finally done! - AHill - 11-04-2017

Stunning.  Just stunning.  You've done justice to a magnificent piece of wood, and I'm sure your wife approves!

RE: Rocking chair finally done! - Steve N - 11-05-2017

awesome chair, just wondering why you used that squiggly wood on the seat? JK awesome bookmatch, miles of visual interest here. Nice job.
Cool
Yes

RE: Rocking chair finally done! - Duane N - 11-05-2017

All I can say is Wow!  Excellent work and craftsmanship.

RE: Rocking chair finally done! - badwhiskey - 11-05-2017

Wow.  No kidding, that's one of the nice projects I've seen on Woodnet.

RE: Rocking chair finally done! - fredhargis - 11-05-2017

Absolutely awesome....man, that's really nice work!
Yes
Yes 
[Image: awesome-smiley-emoticon.gif]

RE: Rocking chair finally done! - fishhh4 - 11-05-2017

Nice work . Top 5 here at WN for sure , that I have had the pleasure of viewing . Love that crotch !