Rocking chair finally done!
Hey all,

This project has been a long time in the making. It was technically a wedding present for my wife (now been married 4 years), and I had it about half done on our wedding day (it was a complete surprise). Then life got in the way, so it's taken a long time to finish. You can see our wedding date on the bottom of the chair in inlaid crushed turquoise.

The wood started as two bookmatched boards of walnut, including some beautiful crotch figure. I really wanted to use bookmatched crotch figure for the seat, so it took quite a while to find some that both looked right and didn't have cracks running throughout. I don't think I've seen crotch wood used in a seat before, although certainly someone else out there must have done it.

I followed Hal Taylor's plans, but made some modifications here and there to fit my taste. I didn't make many changes though, as this was my first chair. Probably the most noticeable one is the curves at the top of the back braces.

Of course, the chair has its "unique personality marks" (or mistakes), but I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. I certainly learned a lot along the way, especially about working with curves.

The finish is Arm-R-Seal.

Also, this was my first real attempt at doing "good" photographs of a project. I took the time to set up a (wrinkled) white sheet behind the chair, use a tripod, take pictures on a cloudy day outside, and do some minor (and amateur) photo editing. I certainly have lots of room for improvement, but am glad that I went to the effort.

Thanks for looking!
Tyler

Attached Files Image(s)

One more picture.

Tyler

Attached Files Image(s)

Drop - dead gorgeous.
Sam be proud of you.
Ag
To say the least, it is very impressive workmanship!
Stunning.  Just stunning.  You've done justice to a magnificent piece of wood, and I'm sure your wife approves!
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
awesome chair, just wondering why you used that squiggly wood on the seat? JK awesome bookmatch, miles of visual interest here. Nice job.
Cool
Yes
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
All I can say is Wow!  Excellent work and craftsmanship.
Wow.  No kidding, that's one of the nice projects I've seen on Woodnet.
Absolutely awesome....man, that's really nice work!
Yes
Yes 
[Image: awesome-smiley-emoticon.gif]
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Nice work . Top 5 here at WN for sure , that I have had the pleasure of viewing . Love that crotch !

If it can't kill you it probably ain't no good. Better living through chemicals.