Woodnet Forums
I discovered something - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: I discovered something (/showthread.php?tid=7335912)

Pages: 1 2 3

I discovered something - SceneryMaker - 12-28-2017

Open segment turning requires a more delicate touch than I have achieved yet. One whole ring disappeared in the wreck, along with pieces out of three more. Actually, they turned into fragments and bounced all over the shop.

That's why we wear face shields, I guess.

The red and white effect was achieved by dying the segments before gluing. The segment gaps and ID stayed red while the OD went back to normal wood. I also added some dye to the glue to make any glue squeeze-out that could be seen but not reached less noticeable. I intended to dye the OD once it was finish sanded. Instead, I have kindling.

RE: I discovered something - chips ahoy - 12-28-2017

You didn't listen to Neal Addy Quote " Never ever under any circumstances make that last cut."

Never forgot when he said that.

Mel

RE: I discovered something - Arlin Eastman - 12-28-2017

Ahh Ken that was going to be one very nice looking vase and I hope I remember about dying it and turning it to get that affect.

I hope you can save some of it anyway for other builds.

RE: I discovered something - Phil Thien - 12-28-2017

(12-28-2017, 10:57 PM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: Ahh Ken that was going to be one very nice looking vase and I hope I remember about dying it and turning it to get that affect.

I hope you can save some of it anyway for other builds.

Yeah that is what I was thinking, a lot of work to get to that point, what can be salvaged?

RE: I discovered something - Dusty Workshop - 12-29-2017

You could turn the 2 halves into pedestals for a platter or shallow bowl

RE: I discovered something - crokett™ - 12-29-2017

(12-28-2017, 11:19 PM)Phil Thien Wrote: Yeah that is what I was thinking, a lot of work to get to that point, what can be salvaged?

that was exactly my thought. there has to be a way to salvage some of that work.

RE: I discovered something - SceneryMaker - 12-29-2017

It was only a pine practice piece so it is now firewood. When I'm trying new things, like open segments in this case, I generally try it in cheap pine before I do the real thing. That way, "learning experiences" aren't so painful.

RE: I discovered something - chips ahoy - 12-29-2017

Pretty darn good looking for a practice piece.No get at the real thing.And remember Neal.

Mel

RE: I discovered something - Arlin Eastman - 12-29-2017

Ken

Did you use your steady Rest?

RE: I discovered something - daddo - 12-30-2017

So what's the plan to prevent that on the next one?