I discovered something
Open segment turning requires a more delicate touch than I have achieved yet. One whole ring disappeared in the wreck, along with pieces out of three more. Actually, they turned into fragments and bounced all over the shop.

That's why we wear face shields, I guess.

The red and white effect was achieved by dying the segments before gluing. The segment gaps and ID stayed red while the OD went back to normal wood. I also added some dye to the glue to make any glue squeeze-out that could be seen but not reached less noticeable. I intended to dye the OD once it was finish sanded. Instead, I have kindling.

Attached Files Image(s)

We do segmented turning, not because it is easy, but because it is hard.
You didn't listen to Neal Addy Quote " Never ever under any circumstances make that last cut."

Never forgot when he said that.

Mel
ABC(Anything But Crapsman)club member
Ahh Ken that was going to be one very nice looking vase and I hope I remember about dying it and turning it to get that affect.

I hope you can save some of it anyway for other builds.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
(12-28-2017, 10:57 PM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: Ahh Ken that was going to be one very nice looking vase and I hope I remember about dying it and turning it to get that affect.

I hope you can save some of it anyway for other builds.

Yeah that is what I was thinking, a lot of work to get to that point, what can be salvaged?
You could turn the 2 halves into pedestals for a platter or shallow bowl

Attached Files Image(s)

(12-28-2017, 11:19 PM)Phil Thien Wrote: Yeah that is what I was thinking, a lot of work to get to that point, what can be salvaged?

that was exactly my thought. there has to be a way to salvage some of that work.
It was only a pine practice piece so it is now firewood. When I'm trying new things, like open segments in this case, I generally try it in cheap pine before I do the real thing. That way, "learning experiences" aren't so painful.
We do segmented turning, not because it is easy, but because it is hard.
Pretty darn good looking for a practice piece.No get at the real thing.And remember Neal.

Mel
ABC(Anything But Crapsman)club member
Ken

Did you use your steady Rest?
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
So what's the plan to prevent that on the next one?