Woodnet Forums
Help with picture frame embellishments? - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Help with picture frame embellishments? (/showthread.php?tid=7337937)

Pages: 1 2 3

Help with picture frame embellishments? - ®smpr_fi_mac® - 03-05-2018

I'm designing my first picture frame. Width is 2-3/4" in cherry; thickness is about 5/4. In the dados I'm gluing in maple. I'll put a ~10* bevel on the inside edge.

Would you guys recommend anything else for it? A router profile, maybe?

RE: Help with picture frame embellishments? - Gary G™ - 03-05-2018

Provided the V-grooves align perfectly in the corners, you don’t need anything else.
Well, probably contrasting slipfeathers in the niters.

RE: Help with picture frame embellishments? - ®smpr_fi_mac® - 03-05-2018

Oh, yeah, I'll put maple splines in the miters.

V-grooves?

RE: Help with picture frame embellishments? - wood-chips - 03-06-2018

Design and ideas sound good as planned.  As for the V groves... whats going in the frame?
If you have something already planned you might put accent wood in the V groves which compliments the item to be framed. By the way, what are the dimensions of the finished frame?

RE: Help with picture frame embellishments? - photobug - 03-06-2018

(03-06-2018, 12:43 AM)wood-chips Wrote: Design and ideas sound good as planned.  As for the V groves... whats going in the frame?
If you have something already planned you might put accent wood in the V groves which compliments the item to be framed. By the way, what are the dimensions of the finished frame?

I think your Dados look like v-grooves, because of the shadow, leading to the confusion.

As a photographer I have made a number of picture frames. I usually try to keep the frames simple as I want the photo and matting to stand out.  I think the cherry with two maple insets, is enough to add interest without taking away from the subject in the frame.

RE: Help with picture frame embellishments? - Gary G™ - 03-06-2018

Sorry Mac,
I misread what you wrote and the dados look like V-grooves.
Gluing in maple will look great especially after the cherry becomes deep red.
Still, the key to the look is making sure the corners align exactly.

RE: Help with picture frame embellishments? - Cooler - 03-06-2018

A nice burl veneer in the center portion would look rich.

[Image: 2-1-2-natural-burl-panel--compo-trim-156...350000.jpg]

RE: Help with picture frame embellishments? - ®smpr_fi_mac® - 03-06-2018

Thanks, folks, I appreciate the help!

Looking at the picture, I can see how they look like v-grooves.

Cooler, I've already glued in the maple inlay but I'll keep the burl veneer idea on hand for the next one.

Here's what I'm mounting; it's a piece of leather work for our third anniversary coming up this month.  Last year, in Mexico, I bought a wooden carving that I took a picture of for this and gave it to a leather worker to design and create.

RE: Help with picture frame embellishments? - photobug - 03-06-2018

(03-06-2018, 07:06 AM)Gary G™ Wrote: Still, the key to the look is making sure the corners align exactly.

Having worked with complex picture frames this is the key.  With a plain piece of wood as long as the two angles add up to 90 degrees the miter will look good   With a complex stock if you end up with a 43 and 47 degree angles the resulting miter will be 90 degrees but won't look right.  I built this sled and used this technique to get an accurate miter sled.  It's easy and flawless.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/njsD5W6fcI0" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

RE: Help with picture frame embellishments? - ®smpr_fi_mac® - 03-06-2018

I'll eventually build that sled; I've been eyeing it for a while.

My Incra 1000SE cuts perfect 45* miters, so for small stuff like this, it works well.

But I'm still lusting after that sled...