Help with picture frame embellishments?
I'm designing my first picture frame. Width is 2-3/4" in cherry; thickness is about 5/4. In the dados I'm gluing in maple. I'll put a ~10* bevel on the inside edge.

Would you guys recommend anything else for it? A router profile, maybe?

Attached Files Image(s)

Semper fi,
Brad

Provided the V-grooves align perfectly in the corners, you don’t need anything else.
Well, probably contrasting slipfeathers in the niters.
Gary

Please don’t quote the trolls.
Liberty, Freedom and Individual Responsibility
Say what you'll do and do what you say.
Oh, yeah, I'll put maple splines in the miters.

V-grooves?
Semper fi,
Brad

Design and ideas sound good as planned.  As for the V groves... whats going in the frame?
If you have something already planned you might put accent wood in the V groves which compliments the item to be framed. By the way, what are the dimensions of the finished frame?
(03-06-2018, 12:43 AM)wood-chips Wrote: Design and ideas sound good as planned.  As for the V groves... whats going in the frame?
If you have something already planned you might put accent wood in the V groves which compliments the item to be framed. By the way, what are the dimensions of the finished frame?

I think your Dados look like v-grooves, because of the shadow, leading to the confusion.

As a photographer I have made a number of picture frames. I usually try to keep the frames simple as I want the photo and matting to stand out.  I think the cherry with two maple insets, is enough to add interest without taking away from the subject in the frame.
A carpenter's house is never done.
Sorry Mac,
I misread what you wrote and the dados look like V-grooves.
Gluing in maple will look great especially after the cherry becomes deep red.
Still, the key to the look is making sure the corners align exactly.
Gary

Please don’t quote the trolls.
Liberty, Freedom and Individual Responsibility
Say what you'll do and do what you say.
A nice burl veneer in the center portion would look rich.

[Image: 2-1-2-natural-burl-panel--compo-trim-156...350000.jpg]
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
Thanks, folks, I appreciate the help!

Looking at the picture, I can see how they look like v-grooves.

Cooler, I've already glued in the maple inlay but I'll keep the burl veneer idea on hand for the next one.

Here's what I'm mounting; it's a piece of leather work for our third anniversary coming up this month.  Last year, in Mexico, I bought a wooden carving that I took a picture of for this and gave it to a leather worker to design and create.

Attached Files Image(s)

Semper fi,
Brad

(03-06-2018, 07:06 AM)Gary G™ Wrote: Still, the key to the look is making sure the corners align exactly.

Having worked with complex picture frames this is the key.  With a plain piece of wood as long as the two angles add up to 90 degrees the miter will look good   With a complex stock if you end up with a 43 and 47 degree angles the resulting miter will be 90 degrees but won't look right.  I built this sled and used this technique to get an accurate miter sled.  It's easy and flawless.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/njsD5W6fcI0" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>
A carpenter's house is never done.
I'll eventually build that sled; I've been eyeing it for a while.

My Incra 1000SE cuts perfect 45* miters, so for small stuff like this, it works well.

But I'm still lusting after that sled...
Semper fi,
Brad