Woodnet Forums
more definitions - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: more definitions (/showthread.php?tid=7338346)

Pages: 1 2

RE: more definitions - Bibliophile 13 - 03-29-2018

(03-28-2018, 10:12 AM)mr_skittle Wrote: Seems like a solid definition to me.

In regards to the pronoun, becoming a teacher changed how I think about. So often groups of people are referred to as "you guys" whether there are girls or not. I asked myself how many men would be ok if the group they were in was referred to as "you girls" instead. Its so common that I even hear girls referring to their girl friends as 'you guys'. I always try to address the class as a whole with generic terms like 'everyone' or both pronouns like "boys and girls" or "ladies and gentlemen".

If you think this kind of discussion is the "gender police and grammar gestapo" (great terms by the way) getting carried away, ask yourself what would happen if you started addressing groups as "hey you girls" or "you gals" instead of 'you guys'.

People down here in the South fix that by just using "y'all."  I haven't adopted it into my regular vocabulary--not yet, anyway--but I fully admit its usefulness as a pronoun!

RE: more definitions - MichaelMouse - 03-30-2018

(03-23-2018, 09:28 AM)Jim Waldron Wrote: Fixed.

Hardly. Proper syntax would demand gender agreement, which your "-man / he /she" violates.

RE: more definitions - MichaelMouse - 03-30-2018

(03-29-2018, 10:19 PM)Bibliophile 13 Wrote: People down here in the South fix that by just using "y'all."  I haven't adopted it into my regular vocabulary--not yet, anyway--but I fully admit its usefulness as a pronoun!

Russian uses a plural noun - "gospoda" to cover both masculine "gospodin" and feminine "gospozha" genders.  

Since "you" is either singular or plural, it'll due. 

The term lady or gentleman was meant to dignify back in its day.  Not applicable to today's ill-mannered crowds.

RE: more definitions - mr_skittle - 03-31-2018

(03-30-2018, 08:26 AM)MichaelMouse Wrote: The term lady or gentleman was meant to dignify back in its day.  Not applicable to today's ill-mannered crowds.

That is a good point. When I use Ladies and Gentlemen to address students it's kind of tongue-in-cheek. Most of the time I really want to call them boys and girls but high school kids get a bit annoyed by that. I should take a hint from Southerners and use use Yall and Folks.

RE: more definitions - bandit571 - 03-31-2018

Heard on jobsites...
Uhoh

"Well, you'll have that on the bigger jobs.."
"Looks good from my house.."
"Not building a Piano here...."

RE: more definitions - John Clifford - 03-31-2018

Heard on jobsites... Uhoh

"Well, you'll have that on the bigger jobs.."
"Looks good from my house.."
"Not building a Piano here...."

I’ve also heard:
“It’s good enough for the girls I date.”

RE: more definitions - BrokenOlMarine - 04-01-2018

I just used...

Youse
and
Yutes

Crazy

Okay, so i'm not cousin Vinny.... 
Big Grin
I would normally avoid any controversy by using the royal "we."

I think we should ...
If WE take a different attitude with this issue....

Meaning...  If you all grow up a bit.... 
Cool

RE: more definitions - 6270_Productions - 04-01-2018

I try to use woperson as much as I can.

Big Grin

RE: more definitions - hbmcc - 04-01-2018

Much ado about nothing!

Meaning:
Winkgrin