Woodnet Forums
Planer won’t feed - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Planer won’t feed (/showthread.php?tid=7339305)

Pages: 1 2

Planer won’t feed - joemac - 05-01-2018

I have an older 15” Powermatic planer. Lately, it will not feed, no matter how light I make the cut. The board moves into the planer, then stops. I then have to push it through. If I then feed it again, same result. It has a Shelix head, installed by the previous owner.

Any help or ideas are appreciated.

RE: Planer won’t feed - Pirate - 05-01-2018

Feed roller pressure?
Waxed table¿
Table rollers adjusted right?
Feed rollers turning?

RE: Planer won’t feed - cvillewood - 05-01-2018

Agree with pirate. Do some investigating. First make sure the feed rollers are actually turning. Next, wax the bed - I just run a block of parafin wax all over the bed. Adjusting the infeed roller might be next.

Are your indeed/outfeed rollers metal or rubber? If rubber, they can dry out over time and loose grip.

RE: Planer won’t feed - doc1 - 05-01-2018

Johnson was on the bed.  It makes an amazing difference.

Al

RE: Planer won’t feed - doc1 - 05-01-2018

Sorry, Johnson wax on the bed.

RE: Planer won’t feed - giradman - 05-01-2018

(05-01-2018, 07:44 PM)joemac Wrote: I have an older 15” Powermatic planer. Lately, it will not feed, no matter how light I make the cut.  The board moves into the planer, then stops. I then have to push it through. If I then feed it again, same result. It has a Shelix  head, installed by the previous owner.

Any help or ideas are appreciated.

I have a thread w/ the same issue using a Makita 12" planer - cleaned and waxed the planer table which corrected the problem - Dave
Smile

RE: Planer won’t feed - joemac - 05-01-2018

(05-01-2018, 09:08 PM)cvillewood Wrote: Agree with pirate. Do some investigating. First make sure the feed rollers are actually turning. Next, wax the bed - I just run a block of parafin wax all over the bed.  Adjusting the infeed roller might be next.

Are your indeed/outfeed rollers metal or rubber?  If rubber, they can dry out over time and loose grip.

Rollers are rubber.  I'll wax the bed and try adjusting the rollers.

RE: Planer won’t feed - ez-duzit - 05-02-2018

What works on my Delta 13" planer is cleaning the platen with acetone, then spraying with Bostik Topcote and wiping with rag once it has dried.

RE: Planer won’t feed - cvillewood - 05-02-2018

If it is still an issue after cleaning the bed, your rollers might have a coat of pitch on them or are hardening/cracking and loosing grip. They’re replaceable and there’s information on the web about it. Do some googling.

RE: Planer won’t feed - AHill - 05-02-2018

+1 on waxing the bed - plus infeed and outfeed tables if they exist.

Also, check to see if there are embedded chips / shavings on the rollers.  Clean the rollers with lacquer thinner or MS.  DON'T do this while the planer is plugged in!