Woodnet Forums
forstner bit set advise - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: forstner bit set advise (/showthread.php?tid=7340518)

Pages: 1 2 3

forstner bit set advise - DCM - 06-25-2018

I'd like to get a nice set of forstner bits so looking for advise. I have a cheap set & a few others, but want a better set. I understand there are different rim types that have +'s & -'s.
Thanks
David

RE: forstner bit set advise - FS7 - 06-25-2018

How much are you going to use it?

I have a Porter Cable set that works very well for occasional use. The most common bit I use is 3/8" and I have replaced those with Freud bits four or five times. Every other one is fine.

This means that the Freud (and one Irwin) that I used as replacements lasted just as long as the PC. I use them to drill dowel holes in hardwoods frequently (especially when using dowels as plugs) because it produces a very clean hole.

All of my bits have been sawtooth or knife edge. I don't know that anything other than knife edge is used for the smaller diameter bits, but they both produce clean holes. I have never seen a wavy edge bit, but mine are old for the most part and I understand that's newer.

RE: forstner bit set advise - Admiral - 06-25-2018

(06-25-2018, 01:57 PM)DCM Wrote: I'd like to get a nice set of forstner bits so looking for advise. I have a cheap set & a few others, but want a better set. I understand there are different rim types that have +'s & -'s.
Thanks
David

I bought this same Freud carbide set well over 20 years ago for about $70, and they have been excellent; I only use them for furniture work.  Highly recommended. Price went up a bit though.....

https://www.amazon.com/Freud-Seven-Carbide-Forstner-FC-107/dp/B0000225ZL

RE: forstner bit set advise - fredhargis - 06-25-2018

Ditto that Freud carbide set. Mine must be about the same age as Admiral's since that's about what I paid. I've had them sharpened once over the years, but they do an exceptional job and don't seem to care if you drilling the rough stuff (like MDF, flake board, etc.). I will say this, I have a few Freud HSS forstner bits, and when new, they cut a much cleaner hole....but of course they don't stay that way nearly as long.

RE: forstner bit set advise - Gary G™ - 06-25-2018

I have the Freud FB-107 (not carbide); been using them for many years. No complaints at all.

RE: forstner bit set advise - iclark - 06-26-2018

I have a generic Forstner bit set that I picked up years ago at Woodcraft. It has been fine for making shop fixtures and shop furniture.

For doing peppermills, I picked up a couple of sizes of Colt Maxicut Forstner bits. The 1-1/16" came as a set with an extension. I have been very happy with the Colt bits.

RE: forstner bit set advise - mike4244 - 06-26-2018

(06-25-2018, 01:57 PM)DCM Wrote: I'd like to get a nice set of forstner bits so looking for advise. I have a cheap set & a few others, but want a better set. I understand there are different rim types that have +'s & -'s.
Thanks
David

Convalco ,was sold to Morris wood Tool company. Convalco was known s the premier source for Forstner bits. 
You can still buy Convalco on E-Bay. Or try the new company. I have 7 of their bits ,plus two sets of Grizzly Forstner bits. The 7 I bought are the ones used the most, pricey but worth the extra cost. The Grizzly bits are decent, like a Chevy compared to a Rolls Royce. 
mike

RE: forstner bit set advise - AHill - 06-26-2018

Lee Valley HSS.  Excellent bits for a reasonable price.

Lee Valley HSS Forstner Bits

RE: forstner bit set advise - DCM - 06-26-2018

I think I'll go for the Freud carbide bits. I'm willing to spend a bit more for longer life.
Thanks a bunch for the assistance
David

RE: forstner bit set advise - Brian in sunny FL - 06-26-2018

(06-26-2018, 02:03 AM)mike4244 Wrote: Convalco ,was sold to Morris wood Tool company. Convalco was known s the premier source for Forstner bits. 
You can still buy Convalco on E-Bay. Or try the new company. I have 7 of their bits ,plus two sets of Grizzly Forstner bits. The 7 I bought are the ones used the most, pricey but worth the extra cost. The Grizzly bits are decent, like a Chevy compared to a Rolls Royce. 
mike

I have some Morris Wood Tool Forstners from my routerbits.com acquisition.  Larger sizes but should probably put them up for sale.