Woodnet Forums
Trouble with Delta bandsaw motor - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Trouble with Delta bandsaw motor (/showthread.php?tid=7341335)

Trouble with Delta bandsaw motor - overland - 07-30-2018

I've posted before on the troubles I've had with the 3/4 hp motor on my old Delta bandsaw. They continue. In short, the saw won't start by itself: I have to  give the pulley a turn to get it going. I replaced the capacitor, and when that didn't work, I opened up the motor and blew out all the sawdust inside. What should I do now? What might be wrong? I'm still flummoxed.

RE: Trouble with Delta bandsaw motor - Roly - 07-30-2018

(07-30-2018, 07:39 AM)overland Wrote: I've posted before on the troubles I've had with the 3/4 hp motor on my old Delta bandsaw. They continue.  In short, the saw won't start by itself: I have to  give the pulley a turn to get it going. I replaced the capacitor, and when that didn't work,  I opened up the motor and blew out all the sawdust inside. What should I do now? What might be wrong?  I'm still flummoxed.

Check the centrifugal switch.  Both the contacts and the mechanical parts.   Clean the contacts and the sliding & moving parts of the switch.      The starting winding is not getting energized,   other than the switch and cap which you changed the only other options are a lead came loose or the winding is bad (unlikely ).   Roly

RE: Trouble with Delta bandsaw motor - MichaelMouse - 07-30-2018

(07-30-2018, 07:39 AM)overland Wrote: I've posted before on the troubles I've had with the 3/4 hp motor on my old Delta bandsaw. They continue.  In short, the saw won't start by itself: I have to  give the pulley a turn to get it going. I replaced the capacitor, and when that didn't work,  I opened up the motor and blew out all the sawdust inside. What should I do now? What might be wrong?  I'm still flummoxed.

Any number of troubleshooting sites available on search for "troubleshooting electric motors.  Continuity, capacitor, and "points" if installed.

RE: Trouble with Delta bandsaw motor - overland - 07-30-2018

All good advice. Thanks.