Woodnet Forums
locating copper pipes - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: locating copper pipes (/showthread.php?tid=7341573)

Pages: 1 2

locating copper pipes - GEB - 08-08-2018

I need to locate some water lines in our shower before installing a grab bar. What complicates the issue is that the controller is on the same wall that I want to place a grab bar, but that wall is perpendicular to the wall with the head and entry through the floor. Conventional stud finders are no help.  Any ideas?
Bill

RE: locating copper pipes - Bob10 - 08-09-2018

(08-08-2018, 08:35 PM)GEB Wrote: I need to locate some water lines in our shower before installing a grab bar. What complicates the issue is that the controller is on the same wall that I want to place a grab bar, but that wall is perpendicular to the wall with the head and entry through the floor. Conventional stud finders are no help.  Any ideas?
Bill

what's below or above that wall that might allow a visual.  If not that what is behind that wall that might provide access.  If in a closet easy to open up a spot

RE: locating copper pipes - Snipe Hunter - 08-09-2018

Can you remove the escutcheon plate and look inside the wall?

RE: locating copper pipes - Roly - 08-09-2018

(08-09-2018, 07:51 AM)thooks Wrote: https://www.amazon.com/Walabot-Imager-Android-Smartphones-Compatible/dp/B06Y29NXKK

Look at the reviews on Amazon before buying.  Roly

RE: locating copper pipes - Robert Adams - 08-09-2018

Dewalt made one for a short time then a V2 then pulled it all together. The  best method to finding pipes is to hang a picture.

RE: locating copper pipes - Mr_Mike - 08-10-2018

(08-09-2018, 05:51 PM)Snipe Hunter Wrote: Can you remove the escutcheon plate and look inside the wall?

Yep. And, buy a cheap micro-usb borescope to get a better view.

RE: locating copper pipes - Snipe Hunter - 08-10-2018

(08-10-2018, 07:27 PM)Mr_Mike Wrote: Yep.  And, buy a cheap micro-usb borescope to get a better view.

Or a mirror and a flashlight.

RE: locating copper pipes - Phil Thien - 08-10-2018

Thermal camera app on an iPhone and run hot or cold (whichever gives you the greatest differential) water through the pipes?

I know, I know, a long-shot.

RE: locating copper pipes - Robert Adams - 08-11-2018

(08-10-2018, 08:39 PM)Phil Thien Wrote: Thermal camera app on an iPhone and run hot or cold (whichever gives you the greatest differential) water through the pipes?

I know, I know, a long-shot.
       Using a seek with a phone or tablet might work but i doubt it would be very accurate and would probably take a long time running water through the pipes. But please don't use an apple product...

RE: locating copper pipes - Mr_Mike - 08-11-2018

(08-10-2018, 08:06 PM)Snipe Hunter Wrote: Or a mirror and a flashlight.

And miss the chance for a new tool?