Woodnet Forums
What to use over boiled linseed oil - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: What to use over boiled linseed oil (/showthread.php?tid=7342499)

Pages: 1 2

What to use over boiled linseed oil - Tony Z - 09-16-2018

I have a wine rack I'm building out of cherry. I'm thinking of boiled linseed oil, to make the cherry "pop". How would laquer be on top of the cherry? How durable?

Thanks!

T.

RE: What to use over boiled linseed oil - fredhargis - 09-17-2018

Lacquer will work fine over the top of BLO as long as it's cured somewhat before you apply it. But lacquer is not the most durable of finishes. I'm not sure how much wear/tear a wine rack would have, so it might be perfectly acceptable in that use.

PS, I'm guessing you refer to NC lacquer.

RE: What to use over boiled linseed oil - Tony Z - 09-18-2018

(09-17-2018, 05:33 AM)fredhargis Wrote: Lacquer will work fine over the top of BLO as long as it's cured somewhat before you apply it. But lacquer is not the most durable of finishes. I'm not sure how much wear/tear a wine rack would have, so it might be perfectly acceptable in that use.

PS, I'm guessing you refer to NC lacquer.

What would be your suggestion Fred? This is a Christmas gift doe daughter, that has cherry cabinets, darkened a bit, but natural grain showing.

Thanks,

T.

RE: What to use over boiled linseed oil - BassMD - 09-22-2018

(09-16-2018, 03:06 PM)Tony Z Wrote: I have a wine rack I'm building out of cherry.  I'm thinking of boiled linseed oil, to make the cherry "pop".  How would laquer be on top of the cherry?  How durable?

Thanks!

T.

I think spar varnish is a good choice. It's durable, compatible with BLO, moisture resistant and pretty.

RE: What to use over boiled linseed oil - fredhargis - 09-22-2018

Varnish would probably be my choice as well. Probably not a spar varnish, though it wouldn't matter in this application.

RE: What to use over boiled linseed oil - Tony Z - 09-23-2018

(09-22-2018, 03:09 PM)fredhargis Wrote: Varnish would probably be my choice as well. Probably not a spar varnish, though it wouldn't matter in this application.

How about something like Waterlox?

RE: What to use over boiled linseed oil - fredhargis - 09-23-2018

Waterlox Original is a varnish, and a very good one. Made with tung oil as the drying oil, it is much darker than most. It's also very durable. Just be aware it will take several (as in many) coats, since this is usually a little thinner than most other oil based varnishes. If you don't mind the dark color, it will be  a great finish.

RE: What to use over boiled linseed oil - Tony Z - 09-24-2018

(09-23-2018, 10:48 AM)fredhargis Wrote: Waterlox Original is a varnish, and a very good one. Made with tung oil as the drying oil, it is much darker than most. It's also very durable. Just be aware it will take several (as in many) coats, since this is usually a little thinner than most other oil based varnishes. If you don't mind the dark color, it will be  a great finish.

Thanks Fred - advice much appreciated!

RE: What to use over boiled linseed oil - Audiophile - 09-26-2018

(09-23-2018, 10:48 AM)fredhargis Wrote: Waterlox Original is a varnish, and a very good one. Made with tung oil as the drying oil, it is much darker than most. It's also very durable. Just be aware it will take several (as in many) coats, since this is usually a little thinner than most other oil based varnishes. If you don't mind the dark color, it will be  a great finish.

He could test the darkness on a sample and compare to the existing (darkened) cabinets, right?

RE: What to use over boiled linseed oil - AHill - 09-27-2018

BLO takes a LONG time to fully cure - several days to a week.  I recommend just letting the BLO cure, with no top coat of any other finish.  You'll end up with a satin finish.  If you're after gloss, you'll need to let the BLO cure for at least a week - maybe more - and then lightly sand the surface with 320 grit prior to applying the lacquer.