Woodnet Forums
Table Rehab...but what kind of wood is it? - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Table Rehab...but what kind of wood is it? (/showthread.php?tid=7344119)

Pages: 1 2

Table Rehab...but what kind of wood is it? - Kturmelle8x - 11-05-2018

We picked this table up from an online listing. Stripped it down and refinished the top but I'm still not exactly sure what type of wood it is. I've had responses of Teak, Walnut, Mahogany, and even Rosewood. Personally I'm leaning towards Walnut. I'm very happy with the end result but I'm just curious what you guys think. 

[attachment=14189] [attachment=14190][attachment=14191]

RE: Table Rehab...but what kind of wood is it? - titanxt - 11-05-2018

Not sure about the wood, but nice job in refinishing a beautiful table. Hard to believe that someone would paint that.

RE: Table Rehab...but what kind of wood is it? - FS7 - 11-05-2018

(11-05-2018, 03:17 PM)titanxt Wrote: Not sure about the wood, but nice job in refinishing a beautiful table. Hard to believe that someone would paint that.

Very pretty table indeed.

It looks very much like some species of Dalbergia to me. It is pretty uncommon otherwise to find that kind of delineation between dark and light (and with rosewoods, that is not sapwood - all heartwood).

Whoever painted that should be whipped.

RE: Table Rehab...but what kind of wood is it? - Wild Turkey - 11-05-2018

(11-05-2018, 03:21 PM)FS7 Wrote: Whoever painted that should be whipped.

I vote for liberal application of coarse sandpaper with turpentine wipe down so it's woodworking related.  
Laugh
Laugh
Rolleyes

RE: Table Rehab...but what kind of wood is it? - Stwood_ - 11-05-2018

Possibly red elm maybe. It has that much color difference between the heartwood and outer wood.

RE: Table Rehab...but what kind of wood is it? - museumguy - 11-05-2018

As to what type of wood, no clue, I'm terrible at this.

As for the refinishing, you get a huge atta boy, job well done. I like it.

RE: Table Rehab...but what kind of wood is it? - Earl Kelly - 11-06-2018

(11-05-2018, 02:03 PM)Kturmelle8x Wrote: We picked this table up from an online listing. Stripped it down and refinished the top but I'm still not exactly sure what type of wood it is. I've had responses of Teak, Walnut, Mahogany, and even Rosewood. Personally I'm leaning towards Walnut. I'm very happy with the end result but I'm just curious what you guys think. 

If the red color is accurate, it looks a lot like Cocobolo to me.

RE: Table Rehab...but what kind of wood is it? - Kturmelle8x - 11-06-2018

(11-06-2018, 09:16 AM)Earl Kelly Wrote: If the red color is accurate, it looks a lot like Cocobolo to me.

As far color there wasn’t any stain added, just linseed oil. Also there wasn’t any filter added to the picture, this was taken in natural sunlight.

I just looked up cocobola and see a lot of similarities!

RE: Table Rehab...but what kind of wood is it? - Roly - 11-06-2018

(11-06-2018, 12:29 PM)Kturmelle8x Wrote: As far color there wasn’t any stain added, just linseed oil. Also there wasn’t any filter added to the picture, this was taken in natural sunlight.

I just looked up cocobola and see a lot of similarities!

Look up box elder wood.   Roly

RE: Table Rehab...but what kind of wood is it? - Bibliophile 13 - 11-06-2018

Wow, that's beautiful! I have no idea what wood that is, but it sure is pretty. Maybe a couple more close-ups of the grain--especially any visible end-grain--would make ID a little easier.