Table Rehab...but what kind of wood is it?
We picked this table up from an online listing. Stripped it down and refinished the top but I'm still not exactly sure what type of wood it is. I've had responses of Teak, Walnut, Mahogany, and even Rosewood. Personally I'm leaning towards Walnut. I'm very happy with the end result but I'm just curious what you guys think. 

Not sure about the wood, but nice job in refinishing a beautiful table. Hard to believe that someone would paint that.
I am quickly realizing that I have NO natural talent... But I am trying to fake it.
(11-05-2018, 03:17 PM)titanxt Wrote: Not sure about the wood, but nice job in refinishing a beautiful table. Hard to believe that someone would paint that.

Very pretty table indeed.

It looks very much like some species of Dalbergia to me. It is pretty uncommon otherwise to find that kind of delineation between dark and light (and with rosewoods, that is not sapwood - all heartwood).

Whoever painted that should be whipped.
(11-05-2018, 03:21 PM)FS7 Wrote: Whoever painted that should be whipped.

I vote for liberal application of coarse sandpaper with turpentine wipe down so it's woodworking related.  
Laugh
Laugh
Rolleyes
"Truth is a highway leading to freedom"  --Kris Kristofferson

Wild Turkey
We may see the writing on the wall, but all we do is criticize the handwriting.
(joined 10/1999)
Possibly red elm maybe. It has that much color difference between the heartwood and outer wood.
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

As to what type of wood, no clue, I'm terrible at this.

As for the refinishing, you get a huge atta boy, job well done. I like it.
I no longer build museums but don't want to change my name. My new job is a lot less stressful. Life is much better.

Garry
(11-05-2018, 02:03 PM)Kturmelle8x Wrote: We picked this table up from an online listing. Stripped it down and refinished the top but I'm still not exactly sure what type of wood it is. I've had responses of Teak, Walnut, Mahogany, and even Rosewood. Personally I'm leaning towards Walnut. I'm very happy with the end result but I'm just curious what you guys think. 

If the red color is accurate, it looks a lot like Cocobolo to me.
Furniture...The Art of a Furnituremaker

Earl Kelly
(11-06-2018, 09:16 AM)Earl Kelly Wrote: If the red color is accurate, it looks a lot like Cocobolo to me.

As far color there wasn’t any stain added, just linseed oil. Also there wasn’t any filter added to the picture, this was taken in natural sunlight.

I just looked up cocobola and see a lot of similarities!
(11-06-2018, 12:29 PM)Kturmelle8x Wrote: As far color there wasn’t any stain added, just linseed oil. Also there wasn’t any filter added to the picture, this was taken in natural sunlight.

I just looked up cocobola and see a lot of similarities!

Look up box elder wood.   Roly
Wow, that's beautiful! I have no idea what wood that is, but it sure is pretty. Maybe a couple more close-ups of the grain--especially any visible end-grain--would make ID a little easier.
Steve S.
------------------------------------------------------
Tradition cannot be inherited, and if you want it you must obtain it by great labour.
- T. S. Eliot

Tutorials and Build-Alongs at The Literary Workshop