Woodnet Forums
Colonial Mailbox - Beading with a 45 - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Colonial Mailbox - Beading with a 45 (/showthread.php?tid=7344449)

Pages: 1 2

Colonial Mailbox - Beading with a 45 - barryvabeach - 11-18-2018

I have a friend who lives in a planned community, and they said she had to have a Colonial Style Mailbox.  She found someone to make it, but they wanted a fair amount of money.  I told her to forward the dimensions and some photos and I would see what I could do.  It turned out to be a simple mailbox, with a top lid, a bead at the bottom, and a bead halfway up the side.   I thought it was a great project for the 45 - the bead at the bottom was pretty basic .  ( comparing to the photo of the sample, I should have used the next bigger bead, but oh well , it wasn't supposed to be an exact copy)  For the bead halfway up,  I just clamped a 1/2" thick piece of ply, and ran the 45 against that until it got the grooves established, then took it off.  They weren't the smoothest or prettiest beads, but I was working with HD  cedar, so I wasn't expecting perfection.  It will eventually be painted, so it should still look okay.  

[Image: d5vlGGNY7KdoooAA_95tkudbo9dsVItHDeDkBbmb...06-h895-no][Image: R7LnnjAEtKTGniaDZdCHDIzCNTza5VupZOBuYRr5...35-h895-no]

RE: Colonial Mailbox - Beading with a 45 - Admiral - 11-18-2018

Nice..........................

RE: Colonial Mailbox - Beading with a 45 - DonSlaughter - 11-19-2018

Good Job!!  Nice of you to do it!

RE: Colonial Mailbox - Beading with a 45 - barryvabeach - 11-19-2018

Thanks,  just a job where a power tool to make the bead in the center would be harder to do than an old hand tool.

RE: Colonial Mailbox - Beading with a 45 - bandit571 - 11-19-2018

Looks like one of those jobs where the Cam Rest would come in handy.....?
Confused

RE: Colonial Mailbox - Beading with a 45 - MarkSingleton - 11-19-2018

Well done!! Looks great.

RE: Colonial Mailbox - Beading with a 45 - Rob Young - 11-19-2018

(11-19-2018, 10:30 AM)bandit571 Wrote: Looks like one of those jobs where the Cam Rest would come in handy.....?
Confused

Having played about with the cam rest, I found it less than handy under any circumstances.  You have to keep re-adjusting its angle to keep the support.  You can set it up so it sort of spins on the rod, "lowering" itself as you go but then you are using it less as a support and more as a gauge that you are keeping the rods level with your hand pressure.

The batten method is easier if you can find one shallow enough and remove a few parts as was done above.

Either way, good use of the 45!

RE: Colonial Mailbox - Beading with a 45 - AgGEM - 11-19-2018

Likey!  
Smile
Smile
Ag

RE: Colonial Mailbox - Beading with a 45 - barryvabeach - 11-19-2018

Rob, thanks,  I tried a 3/4 piece of stock first, and found that was too thick and I couldn't adjust the depth stock to allow much of a cut, the 1/2" piece of ply left over from a prior project worked fine.

RE: Colonial Mailbox - Beading with a 45 - cputnam - 11-19-2018

Very nice - and very nice of you!