Colonial Mailbox - Beading with a 45
I have a friend who lives in a planned community, and they said she had to have a Colonial Style Mailbox.  She found someone to make it, but they wanted a fair amount of money.  I told her to forward the dimensions and some photos and I would see what I could do.  It turned out to be a simple mailbox, with a top lid, a bead at the bottom, and a bead halfway up the side.   I thought it was a great project for the 45 - the bead at the bottom was pretty basic .  ( comparing to the photo of the sample, I should have used the next bigger bead, but oh well , it wasn't supposed to be an exact copy)  For the bead halfway up,  I just clamped a 1/2" thick piece of ply, and ran the 45 against that until it got the grooves established, then took it off.  They weren't the smoothest or prettiest beads, but I was working with HD  cedar, so I wasn't expecting perfection.  It will eventually be painted, so it should still look okay.  

[Image: d5vlGGNY7KdoooAA_95tkudbo9dsVItHDeDkBbmb...06-h895-no][Image: R7LnnjAEtKTGniaDZdCHDIzCNTza5VupZOBuYRr5...35-h895-no]
Nice..........................
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
Good Job!!  Nice of you to do it!
Thanks,  just a job where a power tool to make the bead in the center would be harder to do than an old hand tool.
Looks like one of those jobs where the Cam Rest would come in handy.....?
Confused
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
Well done!! Looks great.
Mark Singleton

Bene vivendo est optimum vindictae

The Laws of Physics do not care about your Politics   -  Me
(11-19-2018, 10:30 AM)bandit571 Wrote: Looks like one of those jobs where the Cam Rest would come in handy.....?
Confused

Having played about with the cam rest, I found it less than handy under any circumstances.  You have to keep re-adjusting its angle to keep the support.  You can set it up so it sort of spins on the rod, "lowering" itself as you go but then you are using it less as a support and more as a gauge that you are keeping the rods level with your hand pressure.

The batten method is easier if you can find one shallow enough and remove a few parts as was done above.

Either way, good use of the 45!
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin
Likey!  
Smile
Smile
Ag
Rob, thanks,  I tried a 3/4 piece of stock first, and found that was too thick and I couldn't adjust the depth stock to allow much of a cut, the 1/2" piece of ply left over from a prior project worked fine.
Very nice - and very nice of you!
Thanks,  Curt
-----------------
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards."
      -- Soren Kierkegaard