Woodnet Forums
How should I attempt a flat curve - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: How should I attempt a flat curve (/showthread.php?tid=7344581)

Pages: 1 2 3

RE: How should I attempt a flat curve - Marc - 11-25-2018

"ok, I just had a thought. How are you going to treat the joint on the underside between the wall and the bottom of your shelf ? I usually see some type of molding used, this may mean a wider shelf is needed"

Yes,,there will be enough if an over hang that I can put a thin strip under it.

"I wonder what it would cost to have it cut from granite or man-made stone? It would sure look good."

That was one of my thoughts. This past summer I found someone on craigslist giving away free marble. The picture of it looked like it would work except for the curve.

RE: How should I attempt a flat curve - Alan S - 11-26-2018

Does the top need to follow the curve?  Why not decide what shape surface you want in that spot, and make the top that shape?

RE: How should I attempt a flat curve - Wild Turkey - 11-26-2018

[Image: y69wYAM.jpg]

Quick (and inaccurate) Sketchup drawing showing my thoughts.  Boards measure about 7" wide. (oops -- segments should be closer to same size. brain not working at 2 am )

Get some posterboard, etc and make some marks and cut some trial pieces and see what you like/have materials to do.

Hope this helps.  Maybe I can get to sleep now. 
Rolleyes

RE: How should I attempt a flat curve - rwe2156 - 11-26-2018

A bent lamination would look really nice!!

RE: How should I attempt a flat curve - Marc - 11-26-2018

Alan S......that's an interesting idea but both sides of the wall need the extra room of following the curve. One side is a kitchen table.

Wild Turkey ......That's what I'm trying to come up with, nice job..it helps. I was more thinking along the lines of making a wide 90* and cutting it out. I just cant figure how wide the 90* would have to be yo place my cardboard template on.

Rwe2156.....way too much work
Smile

RE: How should I attempt a flat curve - Stwood_ - 11-26-2018

Cut ply to fit, say 3/4". Then order some veneer big enough to cover the top and 2 sides.

RE: How should I attempt a flat curve - Marc - 11-26-2018

I thought of walnut veneer plywood or veneering it myself but I want to router the edges

RE: How should I attempt a flat curve - ez-duzit - 11-26-2018

(11-26-2018, 08:35 PM)Marc Wrote: I thought of walnut veneer plywood or veneering it myself but I want to router the edges

Just add thick enough solid edge banding so you can round over the edge corners.

RE: How should I attempt a flat curve - MstrCarpenter - 11-27-2018

Using a 1x8, the "waste" from the inside of the curve might be just wide enough to complete the full width of the curve. Try it with 7-1/4" wide cardboard and let us know.

RE: How should I attempt a flat curve - Stwood_ - 11-27-2018

(11-26-2018, 08:43 PM)ez-duzit Wrote: Just add thick enough solid edge banding so you can round over the edge corners.

10-4
Maybe 2 layers for a wider, deeper profile