Woodnet Forums
Sign carving - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Sign carving (/showthread.php?tid=7348077)

Sign carving - Timberwolf - 05-06-2019

I was just looking at some old photos and a couple of things caught my eye...I have always loved New England and especially the "nautical atmosphere" that is so prevalent  along the coast..The variety of { usually gold leafed and polychromed } signs always peaked my interest as well...so much so that more than thirty years ago I started carving a few signs...I learned what I could from library books and books that were available in bookstores, but that was before the internet. Now days there is a world of info about it and I think the "bug" may be starting to bite me again..
Crazy .Here's a part of a name board with a mythical Dolphin, actually a sign that was mounted by my office door with my name carved on it. Below that pic is a lettering practice stick that I started about 1970 or so...letters carved on all four sides of it in basswood.
The polychrome on the dolphin has faded but here's a better pic....:

If you want to try your hand at carving, lettering is a good place to start...it only requires two tools....

[Image: 100-0498.jpg]

[url=https://postimg.cc/nXxzRdzC][Image: fullsizeoutput-4cd.jpg][/url

RE: Sign carving - daddo - 05-06-2019

I don't remember what I used for the layout- probably printed out the font and transferred it with a pencil.

I cheated. I used the small router to cut the depth around the letters, then chiseled the depth out to raise the letters.

Mesquite.

[Image: 2k6ZGud.jpg]

RE: Sign carving - Arlin Eastman - 05-06-2019

Nice Jack.  I started carving an egg I turned and it was so bad I cut it up before my wife seen it.  I am thinking I need to buy a power carver since my it is getting hard to carve with my hands so beat up and swelling a lot of the time.

I did do a sign for a neighbor 9 years ago that had taken me 8 months to do but it was all "do not remember what it is called" but carved out the inside with the horse head and letters bold in the bottom.

I love the colors on it as well. 
Yes

RE: Sign carving - Timberwolf - 05-06-2019

(05-06-2019, 01:15 PM)daddo Wrote: I don't remember what I used for the layout- probably printed out the font and transferred it with a pencil.

I cheated. I used the small router to cut the depth around the letters, then chiseled the depth out to raise the letters.

Mesquite.

[Image: 2k6ZGud.jpg]

I don't mind that a bit...I have done it also....Nice work...
Winkgrin

RE: Sign carving - Timberwolf - 05-06-2019

(05-06-2019, 01:22 PM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: Nice Jack.  I started carving an egg I turned and it was so bad I cut it up before my wife seen it.  I am thinking I need to buy a power carver since my it is getting hard to carve with my hands so beat up and swelling a lot of the time.

I did do a sign for a neighbor 9 years ago that had taken me 8 months to do but it was all "do not remember what it is called" but carved out the inside with the horse head and letters bold in the bottom.

I love the colors on it as well. 
Yes
Arlin, a realistic looking egg would be hard to carve IMO...Try letter carving..I just use a chip carving knife for it...but can also used chisels and gouges if need be.