Sign carving
I was just looking at some old photos and a couple of things caught my eye...I have always loved New England and especially the "nautical atmosphere" that is so prevalent  along the coast..The variety of { usually gold leafed and polychromed } signs always peaked my interest as well...so much so that more than thirty years ago I started carving a few signs...I learned what I could from library books and books that were available in bookstores, but that was before the internet. Now days there is a world of info about it and I think the "bug" may be starting to bite me again..
Crazy .Here's a part of a name board with a mythical Dolphin, actually a sign that was mounted by my office door with my name carved on it. Below that pic is a lettering practice stick that I started about 1970 or so...letters carved on all four sides of it in basswood.
The polychrome on the dolphin has faded but here's a better pic....:

If you want to try your hand at carving, lettering is a good place to start...it only requires two tools....

[Image: 100-0498.jpg]

[url=https://postimg.cc/nXxzRdzC][Image: fullsizeoutput-4cd.jpg][/url
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

I don't remember what I used for the layout- probably printed out the font and transferred it with a pencil.

I cheated. I used the small router to cut the depth around the letters, then chiseled the depth out to raise the letters.

Mesquite.

[Image: 2k6ZGud.jpg]
Nice Jack.  I started carving an egg I turned and it was so bad I cut it up before my wife seen it.  I am thinking I need to buy a power carver since my it is getting hard to carve with my hands so beat up and swelling a lot of the time.

I did do a sign for a neighbor 9 years ago that had taken me 8 months to do but it was all "do not remember what it is called" but carved out the inside with the horse head and letters bold in the bottom.

I love the colors on it as well. 
Yes
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
(05-06-2019, 01:15 PM)daddo Wrote: I don't remember what I used for the layout- probably printed out the font and transferred it with a pencil.

I cheated. I used the small router to cut the depth around the letters, then chiseled the depth out to raise the letters.

Mesquite.

[Image: 2k6ZGud.jpg]

I don't mind that a bit...I have done it also....Nice work...
Winkgrin

Get off my lawn !
Upset

(05-06-2019, 01:22 PM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: Nice Jack.  I started carving an egg I turned and it was so bad I cut it up before my wife seen it.  I am thinking I need to buy a power carver since my it is getting hard to carve with my hands so beat up and swelling a lot of the time.

I did do a sign for a neighbor 9 years ago that had taken me 8 months to do but it was all "do not remember what it is called" but carved out the inside with the horse head and letters bold in the bottom.

I love the colors on it as well. 
Yes
Arlin, a realistic looking egg would be hard to carve IMO...Try letter carving..I just use a chip carving knife for it...but can also used chisels and gouges if need be.

Get off my lawn !
Upset