Woodnet Forums
For Admiral's eyes especially - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: For Admiral's eyes especially (/showthread.php?tid=7349148)

Pages: 1 2

For Admiral's eyes especially - tablesawtom - 07-07-2019

Several years ago I bought a #4 Bailey from you ( Admiral) at a very good price. I also saw a video Frank Klausz did on restoring hand planes. It is called vanity but I think I did a better job of restoration as some of you  may remember. Anyway I am a big fan of Franks, and above all I love his attitude which is basically you never know what you can do until you try and don't talk about it do it.

Any way I reground the plane and sent it to him, along with a picture of my bench he inspired and a nice letter. I figured I would at least get a thank you from him, but I didn't hear back in a couple of weeks so I forgot about it and then I got this in the mail. My wife put this in a safe place for safe keeping and it got put in a really safe place for several years. 

Anyway She came across them and put the letter, pictures and shavings in a frame for me. So my matting is wood shaving from the plane.  Also I was watching one of his youtube videos and I saw him using that plane. I recognize my work.

I  just thought I would share my story and pictures with you .

[attachment=19264]

[attachment=19265]

Tom

PS:  I also have pictures of myself and Norm Abrams hanging on my air cleaner in my shop . I think I will hang this on the door to my shop. That way I will see it and remember each time I enter my shop. Having talked to Norm and this response from Frank I can truly say i think they are both a class act.

PS2: One never know where an item one sells will end up.

RE: For Admiral's eyes especially - Aram - 07-07-2019

Smile

Something to treasure

RE: For Admiral's eyes especially - med-one - 07-07-2019

Why were you two hanging on your air cleaner?

Smile

RE: For Admiral's eyes especially - Admiral - 07-07-2019

(07-07-2019, 09:14 AM)tablesawtom Wrote: One never know where an item one sells will end up.

Ha ha, well, I live about 8 miles from Frank's commercial shop so that #4 made a round trip back to NJ, in fact, I passed by it last weekend in Pluckemin, NJ.  Frank is now retired, and a while back he renovated a structure for his retirement shop; here's a link to him giving a tour; if you look closely, you might see your work again!  I've met Frank several times (not that he would remember me at all) and visited his commercial shop during a Lie Nielsen event held there.  Very nice, and gracious man.  thanks for sharing....

https://woodandshop.com/frank-klausz-workshop-tour/

RE: For Admiral's eyes especially - tablesawtom - 07-07-2019

(07-07-2019, 10:06 AM)med-one Wrote: Why were you two hanging on your air cleaner?

Smile

I guess mounted on the side of my air cleaner would be a better way of stating it. And to answer your question is I didn't have a better place to put them. And why not where I will see them at least when I clean the filters.

RE: For Admiral's eyes especially - Arlin Eastman - 07-07-2019

I also like Frank a lot to.  I always wanted to meet him and I have 4 of his DVDs so far and love watching them all the time.

On Norm even tho I never did wood working I watched his show in the mid to late 80's until we moved and they did not carry his show.  I still miss his shows a lot.

RE: For Admiral's eyes especially - AHill - 07-08-2019

I remember at one of the WIA events, Frank was giving a class. He was using a vintage No. 4 that had been polished to a mirror finish. When someone asked why he polished it, his response was "because I can." I liked Frank's pragmatic approach to woodworking.

RE: For Admiral's eyes especially - David Katz - 07-09-2019

(07-07-2019, 02:39 PM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: I also like Frank a lot to.  I always wanted to meet him and I have 4 of his DVDs so far and love watching them all the time.

On Norm even tho I never did wood working I watched his show in the mid to late 80's until we moved and they did not carry his show.  I still miss his shows a lot.

Many of Norm's programs are available for free on YouTube.

RE: For Admiral's eyes especially - Martin S. - 07-10-2019

(07-08-2019, 07:38 AM)AHill Wrote: I remember at one of the WIA events, Frank was giving a class.  He was using a vintage No. 4 that had been polished to a mirror finish.  When someone asked why he polished it, his response was "because I can."  I liked Frank's pragmatic approach to woodworking.

At the first WIA in Berea, I think, Frank was asked what he used to mark dovetails.

He said, "I use a pencil".

That didn't satisfy the questioner, who asked something like, "why don't you use a marking knife?".

His reply, "because I use a pencil".

The entire room laughed.

Funny guy and a class act.

Chris Becksvoort is a tails first guy, because his father made him cut pins first, and that was his act of defiance.

Another class act.

I like Norm also.

RE: For Admiral's eyes especially - Admiral - 07-11-2019

(07-10-2019, 10:27 PM)Martin S. Wrote: At the first WIA in Berea, I think, Frank was asked what he used to mark dovetails.

He said, "I use a pencil".

That didn't satisfy the questioner, who asked something like, "why don't you use a marking knife?".

His reply, "because I use a pencil".

The entire room laughed.

Funny guy and a class act.

I absolutely love that story.  He is direct, doesn't mince words, but just answers the question presented.  Reminds me of when I got hopelessly lost on back roads in Vermont's NEK, and asked a farmer if he knew how to get to Island Pond, all he said was "yup" and got back on his tractor....