Woodnet Forums
Beer Tap Handles - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Beer Tap Handles (/showthread.php?tid=7350233)

Beer Tap Handles - Gary™ - 09-12-2019

I just received a moderate sized order for Beer Tap Handles from a local microbrew/distributor. I'd delivered them a prototype finished with Watco Laquer but wonder how the finish will hold up long term to the "alcohol rich" environment around a beer tap. Would there be something better to finish them with?

Prototype was 5/4 quarter sawn white oak.

RE: Beer Tap Handles - vernonator - 09-12-2019

(09-12-2019, 05:51 AM)Gary™ Wrote: I just received a moderate sized order for Beer Tap Handles from a local microbrew/distributor.  I'd delivered them a prototype finished with Watco Laquer but wonder how the finish will hold up long term to the "alcohol rich" environment around a beer tap.  Would there be something better to finish them with?

Prototype was 5/4 quarter sawn white oak.

Its going to take something that will withstand both the alcohol, the water/cleaning solution and LOTS of hands. I would think an epoxy finish would be your best bet.

RE: Beer Tap Handles - fredhargis - 09-12-2019

NC Lacquer just isn't all that durable, it's a thin finish with fewer solids than some others. For this application maybe consider some form of catalyzed finish.

RE: Beer Tap Handles - SteveS - 09-12-2019

If it were me I'd just make them all out of African blackwood and skip the finish. It's impervious to water damage so no finish needed.

RE: Beer Tap Handles - jteneyck - 09-12-2019

Cheap and pretty good would be varnish like Waterlox, Arm-R-Seal, etc.  Expensive but really good would be a 2 part polyurethane.  Epoxy is good but yellows with exposure to UV unless it has stabilizers in it.

John

RE: Beer Tap Handles - Gary™ - 09-12-2019

(09-12-2019, 11:55 AM)jteneyck Wrote: Cheap and pretty good would be varnish like Waterlox, Arm-R-Seal, etc.  Expensive but really good would be a 2 part polyurethane.  Epoxy is good but yellows with exposure to UV unless it has stabilizers in it.

John

Hadn't considered Arm-R-Seal for this project but I've used that before with good results. I've done epoxy finish on a cedar strip canoe and it's too much $$$/time for this project. I've only allocate 12 minutes each to sand and finish each in the bid.