Woodnet Forums
Bradford Pear - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Bradford Pear (/showthread.php?tid=7353594)

Pages: 1 2

Bradford Pear - branchacctg - 03-16-2020

My daughter is having two large (15-20" diameter) Bradford trees removed from her yard in the near future.  Should I try to salvage some of the wood from the trunks and what would be a good use for it?   

Thanks in advance for any advice/comments.

RE: Bradford Pear - WoodworkerTom - 03-16-2020

It's more popular in Europe. Pink in color, muted grain. Might be good for turning or box making.

The fun is using wood from tree to finished project.

RE: Bradford Pear - Timberwolf - 03-16-2020

(03-16-2020, 12:09 PM)branchacctg Wrote: My daughter is having two large (15-20" diameter) Bradford trees removed from her yard in the near future.  Should I try to salvage some of the wood from the trunks and what would be a good use for it?   

Thanks in advance for any advice/comments.

I can testify that it is great as a smoke wood but I believe it would also be great for boxes etc.

RE: Bradford Pear - Greg Jones - 03-16-2020

This may not help at all, but I drive through a subdivision to get to mine where the developer planted lots of Bradford pear trees. They grew super fast, which I assume is the appeal, but most are now gone because they split and break just about every time we have storms with with wind. I cannot imagine that the wood from them would have much strength, but I don’t know. I’ve not worked with it personally.

RE: Bradford Pear - 2beast - 03-16-2020

Pear is a nice looking wood.
Woodturners like it. 
I have made tool handles as well as some small boxes with it.

Worth it to me 
Yes

RE: Bradford Pear - Willyou - 03-16-2020

I did some turnings a few years ago from some downed B. pear. It turns very nicely. Interesting texture and color:

RE: Bradford Pear - Phil Thien - 03-16-2020

I'd at least hang onto larger logs so I could split them and process them I to lumber for smaller items (frames, boxes, etc.).

RE: Bradford Pear - Stwood_ - 03-16-2020

How about making some saw handles out of it.

RE: Bradford Pear - Admiral - 03-16-2020

(03-16-2020, 05:39 PM)Stwood_ Wrote: How about making some saw handles out of it.

Yup, and chisel handles too.  I've got a couple of 24" logs that have been drying in my basement for some time, along with some Osage Orange, and that is my plan.

RE: Bradford Pear - branchacctg - 03-16-2020

Thank y'all for your comments and ideas.  Will see about getting some of the wood after the trees are taken down.

Thanks again.