Woodnet Forums
Got Clamps? - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Got Clamps? (/showthread.php?tid=7354517)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

RE: Got Clamps? - Tapper - 04-19-2020

GeeDub, you still out there?

Doug

RE: Got Clamps? - GeeDub - 04-21-2020

(04-15-2020, 11:27 PM)Tapper Wrote: GeeDub,

Are the grips on those older Besseys the ones that Rockler sells? If so, how do you like them?

Thanks,

Doug

Sorry Doug. I was asleep at the switch. Yes, those are the Rockler ones.  They have worked great; they don't slip and have never failed.  Let me see if I can figure out when I got those . . . the oldest picture I could find with them in it was 2013 so they are at least that old and no signs of fatigue.  They have gotten a little pricey but, you can always watch for sales.

RE: Got Clamps? - alanealane - 04-21-2020

(04-16-2020, 07:32 PM)Handplanesandmore Wrote: Quantity is one yardstick...but when the job calls for reach, who has clamps with the longest reach? Show your pictures!

A European cabinetmaker told me he owned several of a shorter version of this -

http://www.piher.com/en/piher-classic-clamps/243-50k-clamp-bar40x10-mm-depth50-cm.html

Simon

I don't have much as far as deep reach clamps but a little while back I scored a pair of 84" jet parallels for $100 + free shipping
Big Grin gloat...i had to take 2 pictures to see the whole thing end to end. The shorter pair in the pictures are 72". I'll probably never clamp anything that big but I can't resist a good sale
[attachment=26300]
[attachment=26301]

RE: Got Clamps? - Tapper - 04-22-2020

(04-21-2020, 02:51 PM)GeeDub Wrote: Sorry Doug.  I was asleep at the switch. Yes, those are the Rockler ones.  They have worked great; they don't slip and have never failed.  Let me see if I can figure out when I got those . . . the oldest picture I could find with them in it was 2013 so they are at least that old and no signs of fatigue.  They have gotten a little pricey but, you can always watch for sales.

Thank you sir! I'll be checking the Rockler e-mails for specials to hopefully pick some up as I have quite a few of the original Besseys. Nice clamps but the grips can't compare to the Revos IMO.

Doug

RE: Got Clamps? - Big Dave - 04-22-2020

I've always enjoyed seeing how people store their tools. Clamps are no exception. Most of these pics are a few years old, and I've picked up a few more here & there. Some of those haven't found a good home yet, but I'm keepin' my eyes open

[Image: frPkcIA.jpg]

This is my version of one that a WN member posted here several years ago. I can't remember who it was, but he was strongly encouraged to submit it to a magazine by just about everyone who saw it. I remember seeing it WOOD a couple months later...

[Image: Bghb8fq.jpg]

[Image: hSiaSWS.jpg]

This is an older pic. I've got a few of the light duty 4" Jorgies in here now, too. I'm a little surprised how often I use them.

[Image: eD8Edzc.jpg]

[Image: EE6mO7A.jpg]

I still use pipe clamps on a fairly regular basis.

[Image: U3j5HdN.jpg]

[Image: ikNiVA4.jpg]

I've found it's always handy to have a few spares... 
Winkgrin 

[Image: qSqSdwo.jpg]

As for long reach, I've got a couple sticks of black pipe, 10' long, I keep around for the really long jobs. I haven't actually had to go that far yet, but I've had a couple over 8'...

Dave

RE: Got Clamps? - BloomingtonMike - 04-23-2020

Id buy them too. Honestly i just clamped 8' last week. I have some Dubuques long enough.

RE: Got Clamps? - Handplanesandmore - 04-23-2020

(04-22-2020, 11:46 PM)Big Dave Wrote: I've always enjoyed seeing how people store their tools. Clamps are no exception. Most of these pics are a few years old, and I've picked up a few more here & there. Some of those haven't found a good home yet, but I'm keepin' my eyes open

Dave
Wait a minute, sir. Why did you post pictures you found on the internet that belonged to some woodworking store showroom?
Laugh

Simon

RE: Got Clamps? - alanealane - 04-23-2020

(04-23-2020, 09:41 AM)Handplanesandmore Wrote: Wait a minute, sir. Why did you post pictures you found on the internet that belonged to some woodworking store showroom?
Laugh

Simon

I think he's trying to say you have a gorgeous shop and we're all jealous [Image: laughing6-hehe.gif]

RE: Got Clamps? - GeeDub - 04-24-2020

Sweet setup Big Dave. Love that Delta DP.

RE: Got Clamps? - Big Dave - 04-27-2020

(04-24-2020, 03:36 PM)GeeDub Wrote: Sweet setup Big Dave.  Love that Delta DP.

Thanks, guys! 
Smile