Woodnet Forums
Rockler Shipping is bad - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Rockler Shipping is bad (/showthread.php?tid=7357523)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Rockler Shipping is bad - Halfathumb - 08-31-2020

I ordered an item and it shipped on Aug 24, 2 days later it arrived in KC (I live <4hrs from there) and it's been sitting there for 5 days and my delivery dates are Sept.4 - 14.

I realize they can't control anything once it's in the USPS hands, but Rockler ships things the cheapest means available and charged me $7 for a small piece of aluminum that can't weigh more than 1/2 Lb.

If they would ship UPS or Fedex the cost is probably about the same for the customer and get it a lot faster.

Don't think I'll do any more business with Rockler which I have purchased from them for over 25 years.

Jim

RE: Rockler Shipping is bad - rschissler - 08-31-2020

(08-31-2020, 08:53 AM)Halfathumb Wrote: I ordered an item and it shipped on Aug 24, 2 days later it arrived in KC (I live <4hrs from there) and it's been sitting there for 5 days and my delivery dates are Sept.4 - 14.

I realize they can't control anything once it's in the USPS hands, but Rockler ships things the cheapest means available and charged me $7 for a small piece of aluminum that can't weigh more than 1/2 Lb.

If they would ship UPS or Fedex the cost is probably about the same for the customer and get it a lot faster.

Don't think I'll do any more business with Rockler which I have purchased from them for over 25 years.

Jim

Contact USPS and put in a trace on it.  You can do it online.  It worked for me once, getting an item going again, that seemed stuck in the system.

RE: Rockler Shipping is bad - Cian - 08-31-2020

Sounds more like a USPS issue than a Rockler issue to me.

RE: Rockler Shipping is bad - fredhargis - 08-31-2020

You might want to compare the rates of Fedex and USP to the USPS. On everything I've shipped (maybe 2-3 times a month) they are substantially higher. I suspect the major shippers have got all the cheap rates and the rest of us pay more. I'm not defending the USPS, I've seen the same thing happen. On one a few weeks back Amazon cancelled the shipment and gave me credit after it was lost for about a week. Then it showed up at my house 2 days later.

RE: Rockler Shipping is bad - Rob Young - 08-31-2020

(08-31-2020, 10:38 AM)fredhargis Wrote: You might want to compare the rates of Fedex and USP to the USPS. On everything I've shipped (maybe 2-3 times a month) they are substantially higher. I suspect the major shippers have got all the cheap rates and the rest of us pay more. I'm not defending the USPS, I've seen the same thing happen. On one a few weeks back Amazon cancelled the shipment and gave me credit after it was lost for about a week. Then it showed up at my house 2 days later.

Yes, volume shippers can negotiate a rate with UPS/Fedex/DHL.  For example, at work the university prefers Fedex. I order from DigiKey a lot and their rate for Fedex GND and UPS GND is $9. USPS first class (up to 14 oz) is $5 and USPS Priority is $9. But if I log in and use the negotiated rate, Fedex drops to $5 for ground and their overnight-PM down from $27 to about $9.

re: Rockler and "best way" shipping -- I've had reasonably good luck with their best way shipping options. The only screwy USPS things I've had recently was something shipped to me from the Swap & Sell. USPS Priority small box took 7 or 8 days to get to me. Sat in the Kansas City distribution system for about 5 of those days. And I've learned that the postcards I send to my Mom (she is in a memory care unit and I have a big book of floral postcards to send so she gets mail, she enjoys getting mail) are taking a week just to get from one side of town to the other. Used to be 2 days.

RE: Rockler Shipping is bad - AHill - 08-31-2020

I used to use a corporate account with FedEx to ship desktop computers halfway across the nation. The corporate rates were about 1/4 to 1/3 of individual rates. I agree the problem here isn't Rockler. It's USPS. Part of it might be their priority is to process medical and COVID related materials vs. everything else.

RE: Rockler Shipping is bad - Rick_B - 09-01-2020

(08-31-2020, 08:53 AM)Halfathumb Wrote: .

Jim
So in 25 yers how many shipping issues have you had?  

Rick

RE: Rockler Shipping is bad - Halfathumb - 09-01-2020

(09-01-2020, 05:59 AM)Rick_B Wrote: So in 25 yers how many shipping issues have you had?  

Rick

At least 3 I can think of. Tea, I'm probably feeling sorry for myself. This particular part is holding me up and I've already received other parts that I ordered after this one.
Oh pity me. 
Crazy

Jim

RE: Rockler Shipping is bad - barnowl - 09-01-2020

(08-31-2020, 08:53 AM)Halfathumb Wrote: I ordered an item and it shipped on Aug 24, 2 days later it arrived in KC (I live <4hrs from there) and it's been sitting there for 5 days and my delivery dates are Sept.4 - 14.

Jim

I've had just the opposite from Rockler.

I was building a roll around kitchen cart as a Christmas gift, and was running late.

Mounting the drawer on Dec 22rd. 
Crazy

One of the Rockler drawer slides was defective.

I called, and they overnighted a replacement, no charge.

Yes

Finished on time....

RE: Rockler Shipping is bad - Halfathumb - 09-01-2020

A new twist, the USPS is really bad. If I track via Rockler it shows been in KC since Aug. 26, if I put the tracking # into the USPS tracking system it says they're waiting for the package.

Argh! 
Upset

Jim