Rockler Shipping is bad
I ordered an item and it shipped on Aug 24, 2 days later it arrived in KC (I live <4hrs from there) and it's been sitting there for 5 days and my delivery dates are Sept.4 - 14.

I realize they can't control anything once it's in the USPS hands, but Rockler ships things the cheapest means available and charged me $7 for a small piece of aluminum that can't weigh more than 1/2 Lb.

If they would ship UPS or Fedex the cost is probably about the same for the customer and get it a lot faster.

Don't think I'll do any more business with Rockler which I have purchased from them for over 25 years.

Jim
Jim
(08-31-2020, 08:53 AM)Halfathumb Wrote: I ordered an item and it shipped on Aug 24, 2 days later it arrived in KC (I live <4hrs from there) and it's been sitting there for 5 days and my delivery dates are Sept.4 - 14.

I realize they can't control anything once it's in the USPS hands, but Rockler ships things the cheapest means available and charged me $7 for a small piece of aluminum that can't weigh more than 1/2 Lb.

If they would ship UPS or Fedex the cost is probably about the same for the customer and get it a lot faster.

Don't think I'll do any more business with Rockler which I have purchased from them for over 25 years.

Jim

Contact USPS and put in a trace on it.  You can do it online.  It worked for me once, getting an item going again, that seemed stuck in the system.
Sounds more like a USPS issue than a Rockler issue to me.
You might want to compare the rates of Fedex and USP to the USPS. On everything I've shipped (maybe 2-3 times a month) they are substantially higher. I suspect the major shippers have got all the cheap rates and the rest of us pay more. I'm not defending the USPS, I've seen the same thing happen. On one a few weeks back Amazon cancelled the shipment and gave me credit after it was lost for about a week. Then it showed up at my house 2 days later.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
(08-31-2020, 10:38 AM)fredhargis Wrote: You might want to compare the rates of Fedex and USP to the USPS. On everything I've shipped (maybe 2-3 times a month) they are substantially higher. I suspect the major shippers have got all the cheap rates and the rest of us pay more. I'm not defending the USPS, I've seen the same thing happen. On one a few weeks back Amazon cancelled the shipment and gave me credit after it was lost for about a week. Then it showed up at my house 2 days later.

Yes, volume shippers can negotiate a rate with UPS/Fedex/DHL.  For example, at work the university prefers Fedex. I order from DigiKey a lot and their rate for Fedex GND and UPS GND is $9. USPS first class (up to 14 oz) is $5 and USPS Priority is $9. But if I log in and use the negotiated rate, Fedex drops to $5 for ground and their overnight-PM down from $27 to about $9.

re: Rockler and "best way" shipping -- I've had reasonably good luck with their best way shipping options. The only screwy USPS things I've had recently was something shipped to me from the Swap & Sell. USPS Priority small box took 7 or 8 days to get to me. Sat in the Kansas City distribution system for about 5 of those days. And I've learned that the postcards I send to my Mom (she is in a memory care unit and I have a big book of floral postcards to send so she gets mail, she enjoys getting mail) are taking a week just to get from one side of town to the other. Used to be 2 days.
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin
I used to use a corporate account with FedEx to ship desktop computers halfway across the nation. The corporate rates were about 1/4 to 1/3 of individual rates. I agree the problem here isn't Rockler. It's USPS. Part of it might be their priority is to process medical and COVID related materials vs. everything else.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
(08-31-2020, 08:53 AM)Halfathumb Wrote: .

Jim
So in 25 yers how many shipping issues have you had?  

Rick
Rick

(09-01-2020, 05:59 AM)Rick_B Wrote: So in 25 yers how many shipping issues have you had?  

Rick

At least 3 I can think of. Tea, I'm probably feeling sorry for myself. This particular part is holding me up and I've already received other parts that I ordered after this one.
Oh pity me. 
Crazy

Jim
Jim
(08-31-2020, 08:53 AM)Halfathumb Wrote: I ordered an item and it shipped on Aug 24, 2 days later it arrived in KC (I live <4hrs from there) and it's been sitting there for 5 days and my delivery dates are Sept.4 - 14.

Jim

I've had just the opposite from Rockler.

I was building a roll around kitchen cart as a Christmas gift, and was running late.

Mounting the drawer on Dec 22rd. 
Crazy

One of the Rockler drawer slides was defective.

I called, and they overnighted a replacement, no charge.

Yes

Finished on time....

Attached Files Image(s)

[Image: usa-flag-waving-united-states-of-america...if-clr.gif]
A new twist, the USPS is really bad. If I track via Rockler it shows been in KC since Aug. 26, if I put the tracking # into the USPS tracking system it says they're waiting for the package.

Argh! 
Upset

Jim
Jim