Woodnet Forums
Delta HCM Model 14-650 Type 2 Fence Locking Assembly stripped - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Delta HCM Model 14-650 Type 2 Fence Locking Assembly stripped (/showthread.php?tid=7359919)

Delta HCM Model 14-650 Type 2 Fence Locking Assembly stripped - Dumb_Polack - 01-05-2021

Hi,

I've owned this for a number of years and this weekend it seems I stripped the hole where Fence Locking Assembly screws into. (see the picture)  Not the screw itself, but the hole it screws into.  

I checked ereplacements.com and the column itself is discontinued.  I have a tap and die set, but I don't want to bore the hole any larger otherwise the Fence Locking assembly screw will be loose.  (This weekend I ended up putting a C-clamp on the bar to hold the fence in place but as you can probably guess, this only prevented it from coming out too far).  I could push it in however, mis-aligning my mortises.  I guess I could put a clamp on the inside of the bar, but doing this for multiple mortise locations could get old pretty quickly.

So a couple of questions:

1) How can I rethread the whole to the same size?

2) Anyone got a site for Delta HCM replacement parts?

3) Anyone have an unused Delta HCM they want to part out?

4) How would you fix my issue?   Thanks!

RE: Delta HCM Model 14-650 Type 2 Fence Locking Assembly stripped - shoottmx - 01-05-2021

Helicoil?  Guessing the thread is metric.

Stripped Thread Repair Kit Rethreading Recoil Helicoil Repair Tool Set Metric M5 M6 M8 M10 M12

Amazoo Link

g

RE: Delta HCM Model 14-650 Type 2 Fence Locking Assembly stripped - stav - 01-05-2021

Was thinking the helicoil too.  Or just tap it larger and get a larger screw.

RE: Delta HCM Model 14-650 Type 2 Fence Locking Assembly stripped - Stwood_ - 01-06-2021

Yea, heli-coil. Auto parts houses have the kits with the taps.

RE: Delta HCM Model 14-650 Type 2 Fence Locking Assembly stripped - Wizard of Oz - 01-06-2021

Yep, another vote for a Heli-coil.

RE: Delta HCM Model 14-650 Type 2 Fence Locking Assembly stripped - Ray Newman - 01-08-2021

'Nudder vote for the helio-coil. It will best easiest, quickest, and best way to repair. 

I once needed to fix a stripped hole in a leg assembly. Manufacturer had a new leg assembly and it would take about 7-10 days to ship/arrive.  Found a helio-coil kit at the local NAPA (12 miles round trip) for 'bout $20.00 and had the job completed in about an hour.