Woodnet Forums
Table Top Clamps Part Duex - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Table Top Clamps Part Duex (/showthread.php?tid=7361425)

Pages: 1 2

Table Top Clamps Part Duex - lincmercguy - 03-07-2021

I never really found a product I liked for clamping things to the middle of my workbench.  I think the closest was the Kreg vise-grip style clamps that fit into a slot, but they're expensive and can't go very high.  So I decided to try to make something instead.  I have one of the Peachtree heavy-duty t-tracks in my bench that accepts 3/8" bolt heads (quite handy, by the way), and I do have a couple of the hold downs with the rubber foot that fit that.  They are fine for holding something into place, but not great for clamping for a specific alignment.  (my use case was the technique for domino tenons mid-case).

So I bought a very cheap set of track-clamps, but the part that fits into the track was too narrow to reliably stay centered in the t-track.  So I did this instead.  I'll buy a couple of better track clamps and do the same just so I have more than two.  I also may get a couple more tracks for the bench.

And yes, my welding is not great.  I need more practice, but then again, I need more time to practice.

[attachment=33856]

[attachment=33857]

[attachment=33860]

[attachment=33858]

[attachment=33859]

[attachment=33861]

RE: Table Top Clamps Part Duex - barryvabeach - 03-07-2021

Nice work, and seems like it will work well.

RE: Table Top Clamps Part Duex - stav - 03-07-2021

Nice.  Even mediocre welding skills are better than none at all.  
Yes

RE: Table Top Clamps Part Duex - Bozz - 03-08-2021

(03-07-2021, 02:07 PM)lincmercguy Wrote: Looks like you have a good idea.  You might also check out the Matchfit microjig.  I might try one for giggles.

RE: Table Top Clamps Part Duex - Stwood_ - 03-08-2021

Nice work around.
Cool 

Deep reach are available also, as long as your bench isn't super thick.

[attachment=33908]

RE: Table Top Clamps Part Duex - lincmercguy - 03-08-2021

"Looks like you have a good idea. You might also check out the Matchfit microjig"

Looks neat. I'm not sure if that would work for me since my top is bargain plywood with a layer of hardboard on the top.

RE: Table Top Clamps Part Duex - lincmercguy - 03-08-2021

"Deep reach are available also, as long as your bench isn't super thick."

The problem with those is that the top is directly on top of cabinet style drawers. I have enough overhang to clamp to the edge. Maybe I should have built the style with space between the top and storage underneath, but I build this when I was stuck in a very small garage.

RE: Table Top Clamps Part Duex - Cooler - 03-09-2021

I made a MFT style bench top with 3/4" diameter holes on 4" spacing on the surface.

By grinding off the retaining cross-pin on these Harbor Freight clamps I am able to separate the ratchets and re-attache them and feed them through the holes.  These are light duty clamps but they hold pieces in place quite securely.

The 6" version only costs $3.00 each.  I have an older version and instead of a cross-pin they had a pressed in "bump" which I ground off.  I'm sure that the cross pin is easily removed.
[Image: 64154_I.jpg]

RE: Table Top Clamps Part Duex - lincmercguy - 03-09-2021

Do you reach underneath to reattach? I saw a few styles of clamps that would fit through a 3/4 hole and secure from the bottom. My bench is cabinet style, so they wouldn't work for me.

RE: Table Top Clamps Part Duex - Stwood_ - 03-09-2021

(03-08-2021, 06:49 PM)lincmercguy Wrote: "Deep reach are available also, as long as your bench isn't super thick."

The problem with those is that the top is directly on top of cabinet style drawers. I have enough overhang to clamp to the edge. Maybe I should have built the style with space between the top and storage underneath, but I build this when I was stuck in a very small garage.

Could you block the top upwards, say 4"? That may make it too high to work on though.