Table Top Clamps Part Duex
I never really found a product I liked for clamping things to the middle of my workbench.  I think the closest was the Kreg vise-grip style clamps that fit into a slot, but they're expensive and can't go very high.  So I decided to try to make something instead.  I have one of the Peachtree heavy-duty t-tracks in my bench that accepts 3/8" bolt heads (quite handy, by the way), and I do have a couple of the hold downs with the rubber foot that fit that.  They are fine for holding something into place, but not great for clamping for a specific alignment.  (my use case was the technique for domino tenons mid-case).

So I bought a very cheap set of track-clamps, but the part that fits into the track was too narrow to reliably stay centered in the t-track.  So I did this instead.  I'll buy a couple of better track clamps and do the same just so I have more than two.  I also may get a couple more tracks for the bench.

And yes, my welding is not great.  I need more practice, but then again, I need more time to practice.

Project Website  Adding new stuff all of the time.
Nice work, and seems like it will work well.
Nice.  Even mediocre welding skills are better than none at all.  
Yes
(03-07-2021, 02:07 PM)lincmercguy Wrote: Looks like you have a good idea.  You might also check out the Matchfit microjig.  I might try one for giggles.
Nice work around.
Cool 

Deep reach are available also, as long as your bench isn't super thick.

Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

"Looks like you have a good idea. You might also check out the Matchfit microjig"

Looks neat. I'm not sure if that would work for me since my top is bargain plywood with a layer of hardboard on the top.
"Deep reach are available also, as long as your bench isn't super thick."

The problem with those is that the top is directly on top of cabinet style drawers. I have enough overhang to clamp to the edge. Maybe I should have built the style with space between the top and storage underneath, but I build this when I was stuck in a very small garage.
I made a MFT style bench top with 3/4" diameter holes on 4" spacing on the surface.

By grinding off the retaining cross-pin on these Harbor Freight clamps I am able to separate the ratchets and re-attache them and feed them through the holes.  These are light duty clamps but they hold pieces in place quite securely.

The 6" version only costs $3.00 each.  I have an older version and instead of a cross-pin they had a pressed in "bump" which I ground off.  I'm sure that the cross pin is easily removed.
[Image: 64154_I.jpg]
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
Do you reach underneath to reattach? I saw a few styles of clamps that would fit through a 3/4 hole and secure from the bottom. My bench is cabinet style, so they wouldn't work for me.
(03-08-2021, 06:49 PM)lincmercguy Wrote: "Deep reach are available also, as long as your bench isn't super thick."

The problem with those is that the top is directly on top of cabinet style drawers. I have enough overhang to clamp to the edge. Maybe I should have built the style with space between the top and storage underneath, but I build this when I was stuck in a very small garage.

Could you block the top upwards, say 4"? That may make it too high to work on though.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020