Woodnet Forums
#3 Block Plane - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: #3 Block Plane (/showthread.php?tid=7361855)

#3 Block Plane - falcon - 03-28-2021

OK.  I have a few pictures of an old block plane that belonged to my grandfather.  I have tried to resize the pictures, but I don't know if I got it to work.  I have posted a question relating to resizing pictures in the help section.  We'll see if I have done it right.  

This #3 Block Plane has this imprinted on one of the faces: "From F.W. Jaedicke, Lawrence KS".  On another face is something that looks like:  "SC10   0WORKS".  That's the best I can figure out.

I doubt that I will ever get it to function as designed, but I'd at least like to make it presentable.

A question about the end of the plane that looks like a plug.  I've seen this on similar planes, but I can't find any information abo0ut it.  Does anyone know anything about this?

Anyway, here are three pictures of this plane.

Thanks for any info anyone might have.

Falcon

RE: #3 Block Plane - tablesawtom - 03-28-2021

It is a smoothing plane, called a coffin plane by many because of its shape. I have one on my front room wall, but it doesn't have what looks to be a plug of some kind. I have seen several over the years and none have had a button like your pictures. Your plane looks to have a split in the front and a dowel or screw was used to reinforce the front of the plane to keep the front from opening up.

At lest that is what I think the reason is. I am not in any way an expert in that or any other type of planes so it is only what I think.

Tom

RE: #3 Block Plane - falcon - 03-28-2021

(03-28-2021, 01:31 PM)tablesawtom Wrote: It is a smoothing plane, called a coffin plane by many because of its shape. I have one on my front room wall, but it doesn't have what looks to be a plug of some kind. I have seen several over the years and none have had a button like your pictures. Your plane looks to have a split in the front and a dowel or screw was used to reinforce the front of the plane to keep the front from opening up.

At lest that is what I think the reason is. I am not in any way an expert in that or any other type of planes so it is only what I think.

Tom

Thanks, Tom.  Looks like I posted this on the wrong forum.  I can't read and my fingers are too big I guess.

RE: #3 Block Plane - falcon - 03-28-2021

Sorry, I put this on the wrong forum.  Oh well.  Anyway, I wanted to post a picture of the end of this plane and show what looks like some sort of plug.  So here is the picture.

RE: #3 Block Plane - stav - 03-29-2021

That type of plane is adjusted with hammer taps.  Often there will be a spot that has a metal bit that can take the hammer blows without deforming the wood of the plane body.  Generally there is one in back. I haven't seen them in the front like yours shows.

RE: #3 Block Plane - falcon - 03-29-2021

(03-29-2021, 08:42 AM)stav Wrote: That type of plane is adjusted with hammer taps.  Often there will be a spot that has a metal bit that can take the hammer blows without deforming the wood of the plane body.  Generally there is one in back. I haven't seen them in the front like yours shows.

You're right.  This plug looking thing is in the back.  I doubt it is operable anymore.  I don't plan to use it as a plane anyway.  Thanks for the info, though.

RE: #3 Block Plane - Timberwolf - 03-29-2021

(03-29-2021, 01:05 PM)falcon Wrote: You're right.  This plug looking thing is in the back.  I doubt it is operable anymore.  I don't plan to use it as a plane anyway.  Thanks for the info, though.
Here's a shot I just took of an old Alex Mathieson and Sons dovetailed smoother with a brass tapping plug. Even used on some metal planes.

[Image: 9-BIE0r8c-SY6-h-H3x7r4-Jp-Q.jpg]

RE: #3 Block Plane - stav - 03-29-2021

Wow Timberwolf, you have all the nice toys.  Sweet looking plane.

RE: #3 Block Plane - Timberwolf - 03-29-2021

(03-29-2021, 04:54 PM)stav Wrote: Wow Timberwolf, you have all the nice toys.  Sweet looking plane.
It's a heavy little brute tho,,once you get it moving, it doesn't want to stop.....
Big Grin